drunken half assed mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keepounding

Reaction score
I got a little crazy w/ my apfelwein last weekend and the wife came home w/ some groceries. which included but was not limited to. two pounds clover honey. 1 12 oz maple syrup and a pound of frozen raspberries.
yep. I did it. smashed the raspberries dropped in a one gallon jug dumped the syrup and honey behind it and filled the rest with some apple juice and water.Shook the hell out of it and pitched in a half teaspoon of wine yeast.
The fruit has floated to the top and there is about a half inch of seeds on the bottom. it's fermenting nicely but I just have no clue on what to do w/ this. I have zero experience w/ mead. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

set it in a closet for for 4-6 months. Then bottle it once it clears. Althought I'm curious as to how well the syrup and honey dissolved into the applejuice.

She was probably more upset over the mapel syrup. that stuff isn't cheap.
As far as the mead goes I don't need to rack into a secondary or anything?

With that mixture, you should definitely rack to secondary and maybe rack a few more times, maybe even adding more fermentables along the way, read up on the mead forum a bit.

leave the top offf the carboy/bucket for 4 days, then strain it into a closed fermenter until it calms down (3 weeks). rack again and leave it in a cool, dark place for at least 2 months. then, bottle and prime it! sounds like a good sparkling mead. leave it in the bottle for 6 months and no less or it will taste like crap. if you don't beleive me, crackone open after 1 month and see. it will be barely drinkable. the maple syrup may be a little wierd. could be great though!

depending on how much you made, you might need more yeast. i use 2 pkcgs of champagne yeast for Melomels (mead with fruit)

Back