drunken half assed mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Keepounding

Reaction score
I got a little crazy w/ my apfelwein last weekend and the wife came home w/ some groceries. which included but was not limited to. two pounds clover honey. 1 12 oz maple syrup and a pound of frozen raspberries.
yep. I did it. smashed the raspberries dropped in a one gallon jug dumped the syrup and honey behind it and filled the rest with some apple juice and water.Shook the hell out of it and pitched in a half teaspoon of wine yeast.
The fruit has floated to the top and there is about a half inch of seeds on the bottom. it's fermenting nicely but I just have no clue on what to do w/ this. I have zero experience w/ mead. Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.

Reaction score
set it in a closet for for 4-6 months. Then bottle it once it clears. Althought I'm curious as to how well the syrup and honey dissolved into the applejuice.

EoinMag

Reaction score
I bet your wife is pissed, that you were pissed when she came home with the weeks shopping ;)

OP
K

Keepounding

Reaction score
She was probably more upset over the mapel syrup. that stuff isn't cheap.
As far as the mead goes I don't need to rack into a secondary or anything?

EoinMag

Reaction score
With that mixture, you should definitely rack to secondary and maybe rack a few more times, maybe even adding more fermentables along the way, read up on the mead forum a bit.

blackwaterbrewer

Reaction score
leave the top offf the carboy/bucket for 4 days, then strain it into a closed fermenter until it calms down (3 weeks). rack again and leave it in a cool, dark place for at least 2 months. then, bottle and prime it! sounds like a good sparkling mead. leave it in the bottle for 6 months and no less or it will taste like crap. if you don't beleive me, crackone open after 1 month and see. it will be barely drinkable. the maple syrup may be a little wierd. could be great though!

depending on how much you made, you might need more yeast. i use 2 pkcgs of champagne yeast for Melomels (mead with fruit)

OP
K

Keepounding

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I'll just rack into a new jug, stick in the basement and forget about it.