drink for christmass?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerlab

Reaction score
just another beginners question
what are my chances (be honest) of me drinking my beer currently being brewed

i started on the 3rd of this month, its currently still bubbling .... so whats the likelihood of me drinking it for Christmas

obviously its not going to be mature however will it resemble a drinkable nice brew?

ps the brew is a Cascade - Spicy Ghost Draught

I'd have to agree. It'll usually taste watery and off flavor for the first 2 weeks of bottling. Wait an extra week and bam its completely changed and ready! :rockin:

I got some scotch ale ive just bottled on the 4th so it should be somewhat ready by New Years maybe Christmas, but I started the fermentation in Early November....

Plan ahead, way ahead. Patience is a must...:mug:

Very small chance of it being drinkable. I certainly wouldn't serve a three week old beer to anyone.

The answer to your question also depends upon the original gravity/ABV of your beer. Stronger beers take longer to mature. If you are in the 1.040 range, you may have a drinkable beer during that time frame. If you are above 1.070 - no way.

Another factor, IMO, is the yeast strain. I have found that when I use Nottingham yeast, the length of time to maturation is much less than some other yeasts I have used - say, the White Labs Belgian strains, etc.

Tasting is your only real way of answering this question, but you'll never regret waiting a few extra weeks no matter what you brewed.

Go for it. Try it. If it's not drinkable then I'm afraid it's store bought and wait a few weeks.

Nothing ventured and all that................

sonvolt said:
The answer to your question also depends upon the original gravity/ABV of your beer. Stronger beers take longer to mature. If you are in the 1.040 range, you may have a drinkable beer during that time frame. If you are above 1.070 - no way.

Another factor, IMO, is the yeast strain. I have found that when I use Nottingham yeast, the length of time to maturation is much less than some other yeasts I have used - say, the White Labs Belgian strains, etc.

Tasting is your only real way of answering this question, but you'll never regret waiting a few extra weeks no matter what you brewed.

Wow, what a perfectly topical piece of information. I used Nottingham on my first three brews, and they all matured pretty quickly, although they continue to improve. I just brewed a Trappist with White Labs Trappist yeast. How long did you wait from brewing to drinkable?

Torchiest said:
Wow, what a perfectly topical piece of information. I used Nottingham on my first three brews, and they all matured pretty quickly, although they continue to improve. I just brewed a Trappist with White Labs Trappist yeast. How long did you wait from brewing to drinkable?

I've drank a beer in less than three weeks using Nottingham. Although it tasted good, it did continue to improve over the next weeks as I drank it. Speed-brewing, ya know!! :mug:

I'll throw in my two cents for Nottingham also. Drinkable after 1 week in the bottle, fantastic after 2-3 weeks.

sonvolt said:

Good info, also sometimes you'll get lucky(or skilled) and it will ferment out in 3 days.

sonvolt said:
I've drank a beer in less than three weeks using Nottingham. Although it tasted good, it did continue to improve over the next weeks as I drank it. Speed-brewing, ya know!! :mug:

How long did you have to wait for the White Labs Trappist?

Torchiest said:
How long did you have to wait for the White Labs Trappist?

It was best after 3-4 months or so. The best bottle was the last one :D

ok, thanks for the info guys, so i guess ill leave it for xmass. thats ok, i was just wondering. i can wait :D

david_42 said:
Very small chance of it being drinkable. I certainly wouldn't serve a three week old beer to anyone.

Ha, years ago when I was making the worst kind of kit beer. I used to brew it in a bucket in a closet in the heat. When some of my alkie friends would drop in, they would dip a mug in the fermenting beer and drink it like that.
Says a lot for my sanitation at that time, don't it.
Now I can brew a ale and force carb it in a keg and drink it in 3 weeks.
Bottling takes me an extra 1 1/2 weeks to carb.

beerlab said:
just another beginners question
what are my chances (be honest) of me drinking my beer currently being brewed

i started on the 3rd of this month, its currently still bubbling .... so whats the likelihood of me drinking it for Christmas

obviously its not going to be mature however will it resemble a drinkable nice brew?

ps the brew is a Cascade - Spicy Ghost Draught

I bottle one of these brews nearly three months ago, It was drinkable about a month ago.

I live 20min drive from the Cascade Brewery! Where are you at?

Back