double size batch on old yeast cake enough cells?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomaso

Reaction score
I have 4 liters of an ESB (OG 1,055)that'S been fermenting for a week and want to brew 8-10L of a 1,060 milk stout tomorrow.
My plan is to rack the ESB to secondary (there seems to be some yeast still in suspension but most of it has settled) and pitch the 8-10L milk stout directly on that yeast cake (West yorkshire ale yeast).

I have no idea if there will be enough cells in the old cake for the batch that's twice the size and a bit higher in gravity but since many people say reusing is like massively overpitching I'm thinking that I might just be fine here (maybe still even overpitching?).

Anyone can weigh in on this?
Please note that I'm not interested in hearing that repitching on an old yeast cake is bad practice. I'm just interested in whether I'll get enough cells from the first beer for another beer twice or 2 and a half times that size.

Thanks!

I'm a rookie. I save my yeast. Online calculators tell me I need about 3 if I remember correctly, oz of slurry. I usually do 4 because I have it. With that being said I would think you'd have way more than you "need". I'd pitch it like you plan.
Brew on.

I'm a rookie. I save my yeast. Online calculators tell me I need about 3 if I remember correctly, oz of slurry. I usually do 4 because I have it. With that being said I would think you'd have way more than you "need". I'd pitch it like you plan.
Brew on.

OK, thanks for your help!
Considering that we share part of the same name and that your beard is awesome I'll just take your advice :)

Back