Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you use a kerosene wick canning stove and heat your strike/sparge water with diesel... don't get your wick wet while pouring collected water into your HLT. Don't do that.
There's a joke there someplace... I think I'll skip it, this being a family friendly board and all... :ban: :cool: :ban: 😂

Obviously she wants you to surprise her with carpet in the kitchen and laundry.

Funnily enough, my house had carpet tiles in both kitchen and laundry rooms when I moved here and they were surprisingly spill resistant, I assume they'd been Scotchgarded or similar. And they were much warmer to walk on in bare feet.

I still ripped them up at the first opportunity though...

When you are waiting for your new brew stand and are still using your flimsy, homemade table to support your HLT and you try to see if a spare piece of vinyl hose will fit over the output barb and the table collapses spilling 5 gallons of 168F water all over you & the garage.

Don't. Do. That.
Yowsers!
How did the HLT fare with the toppling incident? Did it put a good dent in it?
Hope you didn't get hurt. 168F water will scald you, badly.

Yowsers!
How did the HLT fare with the toppling incident? Did it put a good dent in it?
Hope you didn't get hurt. 168F water will scald you, badly.
I managed to catch the HLT before it hit the ground and somehow guided it softly away from me. Very little water actually got on me as I was smart enough not to try to put it back upright until most of the water was gone. Ultimately it just cost me an hour or so to pull and reheat my sparge water. I let my mash keep circulating and wound up with a two-hour mash. I'm guessing it's super fermentable wort because I had activity in the airlock within four hours.

If you are fermenting in a keg maybe you could set something like that up with some valves and other hoses and use it to collect top cropped yeast. Just imagining possibilities. Top cropping is a good way to get clean yeast. One would need to figure out a way to float the intake just above the liquid level.

I'll just leave this here:

DSC_0013.JPG

There is always dilution and re-pitch.

thanks for the support...added 2 gallons extra water to it before your post...should get it down to 0.999 or so, don't think i need a repitch, ferment was just slow but still fizzy...

might be able to get my 4 kegs after all! 12 gallonsx13%/.5 100oz a keg might pull it off!

Don’t get panic sweats and near cardiac arrest because your starter didn’t start and you’re scrounging for a spare pack of S-05, or some other type of yeast that won’t F-up a pale ale…until you check if the clamps are on the lid of the fermenter.

positive pressure in 10 minutes.

don’t do that.
Done that!!

Made a perfect starter and have an emergency that ultimately resulted in not getting to use it. This happened with a great strain of 1056 that I repitched several times. Screwed it up and had to start over.

Don’t use your wife’s favorite set of towels to clean up after a brew day.
Yeah, I did something similar. I noticed my wort chiller water lines touching the top of the kettle while sanitizing the WC during the last few minutes of the boil. Ran inside and grabbed my wife's favorite dish towel to stick between the kettle and hoses. Of course it slipped down too close to the flame and *poof* just like that it was gone.

Telling your wife it is insane to have a favorite towel. Don't do that.
I have great difficulty determining which dish towels are the nice ones and which ones I can actually use to wipe up spills in the kitchen. I'm not even talking about using them in the brewery. I have my own stack of "retired" towels for that.

On the other hand, I brew indoors, stove top. At the start of each brew day, I do a thorough cleaning of the stove top (glass, with gas burners), counter tops and sink. I guess this is my way of saying don’t screw up and make a mess of the kitchen. So far, it seems to work, as I have never had any spills to clean from the stove top. Generally, my brew days are relatively clean affairs.

So the “Don’t Do That” is don’t make a mess of the kitchen, as I am the one who has to clean it up.

On the other hand, I brew indoors, stove top. At the start of each brew day, I do a thorough cleaning of the stove top (glass, with gas burners), counter tops and sink. I guess this is my way of saying don’t screw up and make a mess of the kitchen. So far, it seems to work, as I have never had any spills to clean from the stove top. Generally, my brew days are relatively clean affairs.

So the “Don’t Do That” is don’t make a mess of the kitchen, as I am the one who has to clean it up.
Oh my, I sure hope you didn't just jinx yourself.

Well, I'm chilling wort right now for a Best Bitter.
Just got done with the hop stand.
I started chilling again, hosed down the thermometer with sani-clean and put it in the kettle before starting the IC again, that's when I heard it, the all too familiar sound of something scraping against metal...
I wont see that thermometer again until I pour the wort into the fermentation bucket..
On the bright side I do believe it was still warm enough to kill any nasties from where I gripped it.
Just thought this belongs here, don't drink and brew kids.

I once forgot to pitch yeast. On day 4, with more f*ck all happening, as I reached in to pick up the FV, I noticed a flask, full of yeast, hiding behind the FV. Don't do that.
I assume it wasn't infected and that the yeasties happily chowed down on the fermentables and gave you a nice alcoholic beverage?

Back