Don't Do That.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accidentally connected the blow off QC to the floating dip tube port on the Fermzilla. Went to see if fermentation was active this morning and found this.
IMG_20240213_071636517.jpg

Don't do that ! On the other hand, that repitch of 1056 yeast went extremely well..

Accidentally connected the blow off QC to the floating dip tube port on the Fermzilla. Went to see if fermentation was active this morning and found this.
View attachment 841665

Don't do that ! On the other hand, that repitch of 1056 yeast went extremely well..
Didn't your Mama teach you not to abuse alcohol?

Sidenote: Love the marble surfaces for the brewery.

Sign up for a competition, bottles due in 2 days, get the beer gun out, rummage around to find 4 bottle, 2 for each style, soak bottles, peel labels, clean and sanite bottles and beer gun, then realize you got no caps.. dohhh! Needless to say I never bottle so I it's not on my list of things to grab at the lhbs.. dummy. So luckily I work close to a buddy that bottles regularly so I snagged a fee from him today, gotta bottle tonight to take them tomorrow, and we're expecting snow plus I gotta work in the morning, gonna be right down the wire. So don't run out of caps, don't do that.

I got a couple one gallon extract kits as gifts and whipped one up this afternoon. Decided to use a smaller pot than my usual one because I typically do 2 gallon batches (you know where this is going).
After adding the DME, I turn away, my wife says, "It's about to boil over!" Then it BOILED OVER soooo quickly/violently onto the electric stove top - Don't Do That!

Even after that the brew day was so quick and easy compared to the BIAB I've gotten used to over the past year. However, I lost enough wort to be below OG by about 0.012, so I guess this will be a "session" beer.

Don't forget to verify that all pump and heating element switches are in the proper off(vertical) position before powering up the electric brewing panel...

The grinding, whirring noise of 3 wort pumps running dry is enough to damn near 💩 yourself (and not really good for the pumps-i hear).

Boy 2 of 3 likes to play "rocket" and hasn't learned how to put everything back correctly when done. I can't get mad, he is 7 and autistic and loves to play at times. He loves to watch me brew and loves the lights, just has has no idea what everything does and hates the noise of the pumps and vent fan. He loves turning knobs and flipping switches when playing rocket when no one is looking... (I got into my dad's work shop when I was his age too, and damn lucky that I have all 10 fingers when figuring out what turned on what)

Side note to self: flip the breaker in the main box after using as well. 2 of 3 will figure out how to open that spa breaker next to the "rocket control panel" soon enough and will flip that switch too.(we don't want to test all of fuses and fail safes that should prevent a dry fire of a heating element or 2 from becoming a complete catastrophe)

Allowing 2 of 3 to create his own personal Chernobyl at home, don't do that...

Don't forget to verify that all pump and heating element switches are in the proper off(vertical) position before powering up the electric brewing panel...

The grinding, whirring noise of 3 wort pumps running dry is enough to damn near 💩 yourself (and not really good for the pumps-i hear).

Boy 2 of 3 likes to play "rocket" and hasn't learned how to put everything back correctly when done. I can't get mad, he is 7 and autistic and loves to play at times. He loves to watch me brew and loves the lights, just has has no idea what everything does and hates the noise of the pumps and vent fan. He loves turning knobs and flipping switches when playing rocket when no one is looking... (I got into my dad's work shop when I was his age too, and damn lucky that I have all 10 fingers when figuring out what turned on what)
Or, you can design a "Safe Start" interlock into the control panel so that power cannot be turned on if any other switches are not in the "Off" position. The Electric Brewery systems optionally have this capability, and I have published many designs in HBT's "Electric Brewing" forum with Safe Start interlocks. My Safe Start interlock design is more elegant than TEB's, in that I wire the main power contactor to do what requires a separate relay with TEB's design.

Brew on :mug:

@doug293cz , thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it, but I am not sure how it might integrate into the 'brewtroller' design of my panel. Given my limited time, the new post-it notes I am strategically placing should help me going forward as well.

Was brewing a 5 gallon batch of kolsch in by GrainFather G40. I dutifully put the recipe into the GrainFather App. so it would do most of the work automatically and remind me when I needed to do something. After the mash and sparge, I dumped in my First Wort Hops and than started watching hockey while I waited for it to start boiling. When it reached a boil, the App told me that and started a timer to the next hop addition. I didn't think anything of it other than, great, it's boiling. When I went out to the garage to clean the malt/mash basket about 15 minutes later, I realized that I had not taken the lid off the kettle when it started boiling. I also realized that I had not put any anti-boil over drops in the wort. Ugh. The boil over leaked out of the lid and I ended up with a G40 covered in dried gunk inside and out. In addition, when I went to tranfer the wort to the fermenter, I ended up 1 gallon short. DON"T FORGET TO REMOVE THE LID FROM THE BOIL KETTLE WHEN IT REACHES A BOIL AND DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE ANTI-FOAM/BOIL OVER DROPS!

Never go to Costco hungry.

“Just want some butter, some shrimp, some Rao’s marinara…”

You have been warned.

View attachment 844246

Follow-up query, when the ever loving fungool did allergy meds become $35 a bottle??!!
I'd love to get out of Costco that cheap.

Brew on :mug:

The real question is, can you really take all those pills before you die?

Same with the toilet paper, if you are buying that much, should you really just be going to the doctor?
There are 6 in my household. After 2020 we keep a spare case of TP on hand at all times. As soon as we pop that open that case it is time for a costco run.

Oh it was a cheap run yesterday for us yesterday too, only dropped $235....

You would think I would learn from past mistakes, but apparently I just like pushing the envelope. Brewed a batch of porter to split with my nephew/brew buddy. We brilliantly figured if we brew up an 8 gallon batch we would each end up close to 4 gallons each. So we put just over 8 gallons in his Fermzilla, what could go wrong? First the krausen grew larger than the available head space. Then let's try holding pressure to try and contain the krausen, that didn't work very well. It filled the first blow off bottle with krausen. Ok change the bottle and now we have a leak between the trub/yeast collection bottle and the fermenter bowl. Tried to close the valve at the yeast catch bottle and the fermentation happening in that bottle was more than the seal could handle. I finally released all pressure and opened the valve. Now it is bubbling along nicely with almost no seepage at the seal.

Don't do that!

IMG_20240404_104221900.jpg

My RO system feeds right into my HLT with a float valve to shut it off so I can walk away from it. It also helps if one remembers to shut the valve on the HLT. I didn't. A couple of gallons of water on the floor.

Don't do that! (Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've done that.)
Might want to consider a leak block sensor!
https://www.buckeyehydro.com/leakblock-sensor/

Back