Done fermenting already!!!???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moorerm04

Reaction score
So I brewed up a batch of red ale from a brewers best extract kit mondy afternoon. Everything went without a hitch I and I pitched about 5:30 - 6:00 that evening.(temp was 68) by the next morning when I get up at 6:00am to go to work my airlock I rockin!!! A bubble every second. Today(Wednesday) I get up at 4:30 to go to work an the airlock is still going a bubble ever other second. I worked a double shift today and when I come in the door at 9:00pm there is nothing. Not a single bubble! I guess fermentation could be done, but dang that happened fast. I will probably give it a few more days before I take a hydrometer reading.... I did pull the airlock off an there is still a good krausen on top. Anyone else have this happen often?

You are in good shape then. Check gravity after a week. Wait at least another week and check the gravity again. If it hasn't moved then you can bottle/keg the next convenient chance you get.

I agree, but I am gonna probably give it a full week before I check the gravity. And this brew is gonna set in Primary for three weeks.

If you are gonna let it sit for three weeks (which is an excellent idea) there is no real reason to open it after a week to check the gravity. Just check it at the three week point.

If you are gonna let it sit for three weeks (which is an excellent idea) there is no real reason to open it after a week to check the gravity. Just check it at the three week point.

I would check it to just make sure it isn't stuck somewhere like 1.030+, after a week you should be close to done if not done with the actual fermenting.

I don't know what I am gonna do yet... The krausen fell sometime last night. I doubt it is stuck I just think with the warmer fermentation temps it just finished in a hurry.

i've had a few finish real fast like that. went hard a couple of days then stopped. everything came out fine. i would take swampassj's advice (lol. that sounds goofy) and check at the end of week one

Back