Dogs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Day at the lake
20200815_124103.jpg

Now she's nearly passed out while cuddling with one of her toys...
20200816_161202.jpg

3283E6EC-A20B-4D0B-8C6D-8BAA99418381.jpeg
6D5330E6-37F1-4032-9129-CD0D5F2104BB.jpeg
This weekend we met up with an owner of one of Clara’s brothers from their litter. Another brother was supposed to make it but had to cancel last minute. Clara is with the blue harness and Bear in the red one.
Clara is usually nervous the first time around new dogs but quickly warms up. Saturday they saw each other sniffed like dogs do and played without any reservations. It does make you wonder if they remember or can tell they are siblings. Then we let them run off leash and boy did they have fun!! It was awesome and we plan to do this again and hopefully the other brother can make it next time.

India belongs to the mother of our grandchildren. She sneaks a little farther in whenever she thinks she can get away with it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200826_153106.jpg
    IMG_20200826_153106.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 38
Public Service Announcement for anyone in the tropical areas.

Cane toads can kill a dog. I have lots of them in the summer. They have these huge glands behind their eyes that are full of milky toxin - if you squeeze that gland ( I just did the one below), white stuff squirts out. Dogs LOVE to chase them. They come out at night, especially warm rainy weather. They are huge. You'll never see them during the day, but when they are active they leave impressive turds all over the place.

They are non-indigenous. Introduced to florida to fight some bug in the sugar cane plantations in the everglades. Per our usual arrangement, this resulted in a bigger problem (and didn't solve the first). When found, they should be anesthetized then euthanized. Easiest way is overnight refrigeration, followed by overnight freezing. I'm not a fan of killing any living thing, but given the risk, toads have to go.

1598493715804.png

1598493725448.png

Cane toads can kill a dog. I have lots of them in the summer. They have these huge glands behind their eyes that are full of milky toxin - if you squeeze that gland ( I just did the one below), white stuff squirts out. Dogs LOVE to chase them. They come out at night, especially warm rainy weather. They are huge. You'll never see them during the day, but when they are active they leave impressive turds all over the place.

They are non-indigenous. Introduced to florida to fight some bug in the sugar cane plantations in the everglades. Per our usual arrangement, this resulted in a bigger problem (and didn't solve the first). When found, they should be anesthetized then euthanized. Easiest way is overnight refrigeration, followed by overnight freezing. I'm not a fan of killing any living thing, but given the risk, toads have to go.

View attachment 695714

View attachment 695715

I keep 2 x 2 sticks around the outside of the house so I can thump the feckers. If I keep at it early in the summer then I mostly get them under control on my property. I had one dog that was always grabbing the toads. If that happens, grab the garden hose and put it in the dog's mouth, and blast the poison out. Damn dog never learned its lesson 🙄

View attachment 695714

View attachment 695715
Are they edible? I love frog legs, but never hear of people eating toads. I suppose I can google it myself, but I'm feeling lazy

Dogs are entropy expediters. Our new 3 month old German Shorthair Pointer (GSP) grabbed a box and dragged it to the other room. Viszla joined her. 5 minutes later, shreds. Pretty much back to wood pulp. No way I can get mad at these two though. I love the sporting dogs.

Last night, GSP entered the house all excited (I have a dog door). I found the Vizsla swimming in the dark pool, night, in the rain, chasing a tree frog in there. Man they are nuts.

1600385098422.png

1600385124016.png

Dogs are entropy expediters. Our new 3 month old German Shorthair Pointer (GSP) grabbed a box and dragged it to the other room. Viszla joined her. 5 minutes later, shreds. Pretty much back to wood pulp. No way I can get mad at these two though. I love the sporting dogs.

Last night, GSP entered the house all excited (I have a dog door). I found the Vizsla swimming in the dark pool, night, in the rain, chasing a tree frog in there. Man they are nuts.

View attachment 698874

View attachment 698875
Your screened pool area would make an awesome catido. :yes:

This is my 2 year old rescue golden - his name is Brewin :) he was given back because of a leg problem, and with a lot of love and surgery we had his leg repaired and he’s living his best life!

Attachments

• 81273162-3B5A-41ED-990E-CC9B33F51B96.jpeg
    81273162-3B5A-41ED-990E-CC9B33F51B96.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 33
  • 495FAEE8-292A-448F-A4F4-95561679F888.jpeg
    495FAEE8-292A-448F-A4F4-95561679F888.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 33
Here's my frenchie Gertie.
Wife and I were traveling just before COVID and had her watched by a tech at our vet. She took this awesome shot.
Rockin the Bell's Two Hearted collar...

IMG957393.jpg

She's our first dog, and she's a sweetie. Snores like an old man, farts like one too.
IMG951730.jpg

Sometimes I'm afraid to come look at this thread when I see a new post notification. Afraid one of our beloved brewing buddies has crossed the Rainbow Bridge

But most times, & for a while lately, it's just you guys showing off your dogs, so it's not a very rational fear.

& I'm not going to be the one to break that streak. Here's the Howdy in his jammies with the tail that never stops wagging. Only changes frequency, amplitude & declination angle

20201220_104209.jpg

Back