Does this look OK? My first lager.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcsum68

Reaction score
Working on my first lager and so far its not looking as familiar as normal, heres a pic, you can see that theres a dark line around the top that looks like dirt and if you look to the back of the carboy theres about a 1" area where the entire top of the krausen is dark like that.

I put the beer in the fridge last Monday, and pitched my starter on Tuesday, and 5 days later this is all Ive got. The fridge was too cold initially, but after the first day is holding steady.

Is it gonna make i? other pics of lagers didnt look like this.

firstlager.jpg

Looks fine to me, that dark part may take over completely, it's yeast.

Now shut the door, you're letting all the cool air out!

That actually looks an awful lot like my first lager (which is 5 weeks into its 8 week lager as we speak!)

bubbles1.jpg

Good luck with yours!!

-Joe

Thanks all!

Nostalgia, I was comparing mine to yours cause you posted a pic in my starter yeast question a few weeks back and it just looked so much more uniform. Mine had that "dirty" looking area in the back and is lighter colored than ales and my kolsh were, so I wanted to make sure.

Yeah, I wouldn't worry. I've only done 5 batches so far, but every kraeusen has looked completely different.

-Joe

Back