Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rett03

Reaction score
I am on my first ever batch of beer and I had a concern about yeast. I used active dry yeast (saccharomyces cerevisiae) which is a top-fermenting yeast, but as the fermentation started, it looks like a bottom fermenting reaction. There’s about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of sediment on the bottom and no foam on top, despite violent fizzing. The bubble streams are rising from the bottom as well. What are the chances of getting bottom fermenting yeast (saccharomyces pastorianus) from the jar at the store? Just curious to see if anyone knows what is going on with this.

Attachments

• IMG_7596.jpeg
    IMG_7596.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7597.jpeg
    IMG_7597.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Some cerevisiae strains ferment mostly on the bottom actually. One example I know is Wyeast 1728 Scottish. I’m sure there are several others. Could be something like that. Do you or the shop owner have any ideas as to the source strain (1728 or other number)?

Saccharomyces cervisciae is ale yeast, which is considered top fermenting. Saccharomyces pastorianus is lager yeast, which is bottom fermenting.

Hm. It's looking like my cider or meads. They don't have the foam forming proteins barley beer creates. Maybe sorghum is similar?
That’s quite possible. I would not even know where to look to get that information though. Thanks for the reply!

Some cerevisiae strains ferment mostly on the bottom actually. One example I know is Wyeast 1728 Scottish. I’m sure there are several others. Could be something like that. Do you or the shop owner have any ideas as to the source strain (1728 or other number)?
I have no idea because I used the active dry (bakers) yeast from the grocery store that I had on hand. It very possibly could be a strain like that but I have no way of knowing which kind it is for sure. Thanks for the insight!

I don't know how much protein bananas have. But I'd be cautious as bananas are known to produce much more methanol than other fermentations, which can cause headaches or worse.

I don't know how much protein bananas have. But I'd be cautious as bananas are known to produce much more methanol than other fermentations, which can cause headaches or worse.
Ooooh :/ guess I might run a 65° to clean it up a bit 👍 I literally just posted a reply asking about this, I've been trying to work out if it's the brew or something else giving me headaches..

Back