Do You Have a Go-To Yeast Brand?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For liquid, Omega is my go-to right now, although I've had great luck with Imperial too. I use White Labs Coastal Haze for all my NEIPAs.

For dry, I use Safale US05 and Saflager 34/70.

from the title: Do You Have a Go-To Yeast Brand?

background: I brew mostly traditional american pale ales, american amber ales, amercian brown aless, and classic west-coast-ish IPAs. And occasionally, some "american-ized" bitters and strong bitters.

Previously (2019-ish), it was mostly Fermentis (US-05, S-04, occasionally Nottingham).

Currently, it's mostly Lallemand (Nottingham, BRY-97, Verdant, New England). But I also have a variety of dry 'chico' strains (US-05, Apex San Diego, WLP001 dry) for some 'split batch' fermentations - and White Labs WLP066 (dry) is on my list of dry strains to try.

aside: my 'best' (personal opinion) Belgian Tripel used MJ 31. But with so many new brands and strains of dry yeast to try, MJ strains seem to always be just below my "cut" line.

Good topic.

I might be in the minority here but I've been a White Labs guy for many years. Just great, consistent results for me. Most used: wlp001 Cal Ale, wlp002 English Ale, wlp007 Dry English Ale, and for lagers wlp830 German lager and wlp833 Bock. I've tried many other White Labs strains - all successfully - but those are my go-tos.

I've tried Omega and Wyeast a time or 2, as well as Lallemand and Fermentis. No major complaints, but have stuck to what works best for me.

Cheers.

I have used White Labs almost exclusively up to this point since they are regionally close to me and I believe gives me a better chance of getting fresher yeast.

However, with the recent price increases and increased cell counts, I am considering moving to dry yeast.

Not to highjack this thread; yeast from a local brewery is another potential option. I would be interested in learning how many people get yeast from a local brewery? Advantages, disadvantages, why or why not!

Lallemand: Koln, Nottingham, Munich Classic, Abbaye. Been meaning to try Verdant one of these days.

Fermentis: US-05 (kind of my workhorse), S-04, 34/70 and S-189 for lagers.

I have a stir plate that I haven't used in a few years.
I'm guessing you find that dry yeast works as well as liquid?

Good topic.

I might be in the minority here but I've been a White Labs guy for many years. Just great, consistent results for me. Most used: wlp001 Cal Ale, wlp002 English Ale, wlp007 Dry English Ale, and for lagers wlp830 German lager and wlp833 Bock. I've tried many other White Labs strains - all successfully - but those are my go-tos.

I've tried Omega and Wyeast a time or 2, as well as Lallemand and Fermentis. No major complaints, but have stuck to what works best for me.

Cheers.
Cheers, and lots to be said for the old, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," adage.

I'm guessing you find that dry yeast works as well as liquid?

For the most part, yes. I find it works fine for most of the styles I brew. There are a few where liquid seems to hit the mark better, such as Pub A09 for some English ales, WY2565 for Kolsch. Even with those brews, S-04 and Koln gets me close enough. There's probably some compromise in authenticity, but I'm willing to go with dry, as its convenience far outweighs the subtle differences. I no longer have an LHBS in my area, and I just don't trust mail order for liquid.

Definitely style-specific. Munich Classic for Wheats, Cali for APA, AIPA, and Lawnmower beers, S04 for English/Irish. I started out using all dry yeasts, and now with all the offerings there is no need to use liquid anymore, especially with the cost differences (not only cost per pack, but using 1 cheaper dry instead of 2 more expensive liquid), and getting the same or maybe even better results.

For the most part, yes. I find it works fine for most of the styles I brew. There are a few where liquid seems to hit the mark better, such as Pub A09 for some English ales, WY2565 for Kolsch. Even with those brews, S-04 and Koln gets me close enough. There's probably some compromise in authenticity, but I'm willing to go with dry, as its convenience far outweighs the subtle differences. I no longer have an LHBS in my area, and I just don't trust mail order for liquid.
Makes sense!

I use mainly yeasts from a Glasgow company called Crossmyloof and they sell (and probably pack) clones of familiar yeasts. For example I us:
Midland = Nottingham
Five = US05
Hell = S23
Clipper = London Ale 3
Gretel = WB-06
Do you have any idea what the origin is of their bese CML yeast are? Such as lille saison, Belgian or California common?

I like the yeast I've brewed with from Crossmyloof, but would like to know more about where they come from.

In the past couple of years I've really become a Mangrove Jacks fan
I've been super happy with the Mangrove Jacks stuff as well, always a good quick start, and a decent variety. I really enjoy their M41 and M47 for belgian styles, makes some great beer.

Something I did earlier
LallemandFermentisMangrove JackCML
BRY-97 American West Coast US-05. M44 West CoastFive
WindsorS-04M36 Liberty BellFirm
NottinghamS-04M44 West CoastMidland
London English Style Ale (ESB)S-04M36 Liberty BellFour
Koln KolschK-97Kolsch
Verdant IPAUS-05M44 West CoastClipper
Verdant IPAUS-05M44 West CoastHaze
Munich ClassicWB-06M20 Bavarian WheatGretel & Kristalweizen
Belgium WitT-58M21 Belgian Wit
AbbayeBE-256M47 Belgian AbbayeFlushed Nun
AbbayeS-33M31 Belgian Tripel
AbbayeBE-256M41 Belgian AleMonk
Belle-SaisonBE-134M29 French SaisonSaison
Belle-SaisonBE-134M29 French SaisonWallonia
NE East CoastS-33Clipper
Kveik VosM12 Kveik Kveik Voss
Diamond LagerW-34/70M76 Bavarian Hell
Diamond LagerS-23M54 Californian lagerKentucky

Something I did earlier
LallemandFermentisMangrove JackCML
BRY-97 American West Coast US-05. M44 West CoastFive
WindsorS-04M36 Liberty BellFirm
NottinghamS-04M44 West CoastMidland
London English Style Ale (ESB)S-04M36 Liberty BellFour
Koln KolschK-97Kolsch
Verdant IPAUS-05M44 West CoastClipper
Verdant IPAUS-05M44 West CoastHaze
Munich ClassicWB-06M20 Bavarian WheatGretel & Kristalweizen
Belgium WitT-58M21 Belgian Wit
AbbayeBE-256M47 Belgian AbbayeFlushed Nun
AbbayeS-33M31 Belgian Tripel
AbbayeBE-256M41 Belgian AleMonk
Belle-SaisonBE-134M29 French SaisonSaison
Belle-SaisonBE-134M29 French SaisonWallonia
NE East CoastS-33Clipper
Kveik VosM12 KveikKveik Voss
Diamond LagerW-34/70M76 BavarianHell
Diamond LagerS-23M54 Californian lagerKentucky
Thanks for this, Cheshire Cat

I am using Omega yeast currently for liquid. My LHBS quit carrying Wyeast and went with Omega. I've had good luck with them, and they are fresh coming from Chicago to the KC area. The LHBS also can get Imperial that is good too. The Omega Extra Special makes a nice Bitter and so does Imperial Pub. I have Boh-Pils Lagering now with Omega Pilsner1 and a sample is promising.
In the dry yeasts I like Lallemand Diamond for Lagers and Bry-97 for Ales.

I am using Omega yeast currently for liquid. My LHBS quit carrying Wyeast and went with Omega. I've had good luck with them, and they are fresh coming from Chicago to the KC area. The LHBS also can get Imperial that is good too. The Omega Extra Special makes a nice Bitter and so does Imperial Pub. I have Boh-Pils Lagering now with Omega Pilsner1 and a sample is promising.
In the dry yeasts I like Lallemand Diamond for Lagers and Bry-97 for Ales.
My LHBS also stocks Omega, but nothing else

I've been mostly standardized on Imperial for a number of years. Their Flagship handles IPAs and CDAs well, and I use their Tartan for DIPA. Pub has performed well for English styles. The high cell count means I don't usually bother making a starter.

I like a radical approach. Do you find different kinds don't need different attributes?
I use it for Pales, some IPA's, Moktoberfest, etc. Kind of my go-to b/c it finishes clean. (Cleanly? IDK). Of course, if a recipe or style calls for a different yeast variety, I will likely follow what the style guidelines.

I'm an unabashed man whore when it comes to yeast companies.

For lagers I use 34/70, S-189, and Diamond depending upon what I'm trying to achieve and what time of the year it is. Diamond is useful for July and August beers, when you want to suck the soul out of them via attenuation. S-189 is spectacular for fat winter and early spring beers. 34/70 is a nice compromise between the two and the one I use most.

For UK stuff I like Imperial's Pub and WY1469--all the other stuff seems really bland.

For US stuff I've never understood the knock against US-05 for being peachy, but I've been using Cellar Science Cali for the last couple years because I got a bunch of it for cheap when it first released. The first pitch on BRY-97 can be a real dog, but it's nice afterward. I seldom see it at a good price and the beers I'm using it in don't require its subtle differences from the generic Chico clones. I wouldn't mind using it more, but I don't see the point in spending extra for it and I don't brew enough US beers, so the 1st pitch lag thing is an issue for me.

I'm extra special whore-ish when it comes to specialty yeast. I brew them so infrequently that I'll pitch anything liquid with a good reputation. I think Imperial's Cable Car is amazing. I'm also a big fan of Omega Bananza. It makes a dreadful hefe that is a dead ringer for the travel-damaged bubblegum and banana bomb bottles of Franziskaner that we used to get in the Pacific NW back in the early 90s. Of course, we didn't know that at the time, so we all forced it down and said, "Oh, wow, that's amazing beer!" I can't recommend it, but it reminds me of a pleasant time in my life.

Last edited:
I no longer have an LHBS in my area, and I just don't trust mail order for liquid.

I can't say I blame you and I'm always nervous whenever I do it, but depending upon where you live it *can* work. To accommodate my brewing schedule (and to limit the time I spend driving in N. Virginia) I'll order liquid yeast 1-2 times a year--almost every year for a my spring specialty and sometimes to establish my yearly pitch of Pub or Wy-1469 in the Fall. I don't see much point in liquid lager yeast, but that's just my opinion.

As a resident of the Mid-Atlantic, I'm lucky. Stuff hits my doorstep 2-3 days after it ships. With the use of all of the insulation and chilling options (typically an extra ten bucks--but I'll happily pay that to not have to drive in N. Virginia) my yeast arrives reliably cool to the touch.

That said, I never buy liquid yeast between May-September or December-February.

You *can* do it, it's just a little more costly and a lot more seasonal. When a beer is vastly improved by liquid yeast, it's worth the low level of risk.

Hope you found this helpful. You're a great brewer and I'm sure not trying to lecture you! Rather, I'm trying to encourage you. I hope you accepted my post in that light.
:bigmug:

I can't say I blame you and I'm always nervous whenever I do it, but depending upon where you live it *can* work. To accommodate my brewing schedule (and to limit the time I spend driving in N. Virginia) I'll order liquid yeast 1-2 times a year--almost every year for a my spring specialty and sometimes to establish my yearly pitch of Pub or Wy-1469 in the Fall. I don't see much point in liquid lager yeast, but that's just my opinion.

As a resident of the Mid-Atlantic, I'm lucky. Stuff hits my doorstep 2-3 days after it ships. With the use of all of the insulation and chilling options (typically an extra ten bucks--but I'll happily pay that to not have to drive in N. Virginia) my yeast arrives reliably cool to the touch.

That said, I never buy liquid yeast between May-September or December-February.

You *can* do it, it's just a little more costly and a lot more seasonal. When a beer is vastly improved by liquid yeast, it's worth the low level of risk.

Hope you found this helpful. You're a great brewer and I'm sure not trying to lecture you! Rather, I'm trying to encourage you. I hope you accepted my post in that light.
:bigmug:

Thanks, I do appreciate the tips and encouragement!

You're fortunate to have an oceanic climate, which tends to moderate things. You get some winter wx, but spring starts in March, when it should. Cherry blossoms in D.C., and all that. I'm stuck in a colder, continental climate and it's unpredictable. Spring can come in April, or we can have blizzards. May wouldn't be bad for shipping, as winter is done and it rarely gets hot. But in June the temps can rocket upward and stay there past Labor Day. This September we had a bunch of 90-plus days. October has been mild and would've been perfect. Then we usually get slammed with winter in November. Spring and fall are very short here and tip-toeing around the weather is tricky. And honestly, I don't miss liquid yeast that much. Most of the styles I brew do fine with dry and it gets me close enough for the girls I date.

Though I'd love to try Pub for an English bitter. Everyone talks about that marmalade thing, and S-04/Notty/Windsor won't get me there.

Gotcha, Max.

As a final note, I would encourage you to take a chance on Pub. It reliably delivers superior UK ales and is well worth the twenty dollar gamble. Moreover, it's a ridiculously easy strain to keep alive year-round--just pop the fermenter open on day two and scoop a bunch of yeast off the top and put it in a jar, then pour bottled water over the top of it. Later, you can use one of the beers you brewed with Pub. It's really that easy.

Also, it's so distinctively flocculent that it's quite obvious when it's healthy. It's a true no-brainer yeast for re-use. If it behaves like clay, it's healthy!

You can do it!

Latest posts

Back