Dme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a10forwar

Reaction score
Hello all

I just brewed some beer yesterday and used a kit from Austin Home Brew. It is a partial mash bock. I ran into some obsticles while doing so. First on was OMG where did the mash bag go? Couldnt find it to save my life. So asked the SWMBO and got a clean brand new pair of panty hose. Well this was a blessing in disquise. I didnt put the grain in the bag I put it in the 155 degree water then used a second kettle with the panty hose stretch around the rim as a strainer.......might use this method from now on. So why is it that one would use the grain mash bag to just float around in the mash kettle? I felt that I was getting more water/grain absorbsion from letting it wander where it wanted to freely in the first kettle. Any way modified the panty hose. ie cut the legs off then stretched it over the second kettle. When the 45 min of mash were done just pour the first kettle into the second. Into the pany hose. Then straind and then tied a knot to prevent spillage. Did the sparge with a Martha Stewie colander and worked great.

The second trial was with the DME. OMG that stuff sucks took a min to make sure everything was mixed up just right but overall not too bad just never have used the DME. Hope this helps anyone or whatever maybe maybe not.

Oh and used the leg pieces for the hop bags....Brilliant.

Latest posts

Back