Distilled same as steril? Use with without boilding for washing yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffsta

Reaction score
I am going to wash some yeast this weekend.

Rather than boil water, and cool it (which is such a god awful hassle...), I was thinking about simply using some jugs of distilled water, without preboiling them.

I have like 10 of them, unopened, that will never get used otherwise.

Is there any problem with this?

Ok, so I guess I dont get the different between being Distilled, Steril and Sanitized. They all sound pretty clean to me.

So, if I boil the distilled water, will it take the oxygen out of it?

Does this mean that if I used distilled water that the washed yeast will be shi*#, or that I just might have a higher probability that it wont be viable 6 months later when I take it from the fridge?

Distilled water has no mineral content, but I don't believe that distilled water is marketed as sterile. You can buy sterile water but it will probably be insanely expensive and is usually only used in dialysis, operating rooms, etc... Sterile just means that it is completely free of microbes and sanitized means that it is mostly (I think the requirement is 99.999%) free of microbes.

Distilled water has almost no mineral content, and almost a perfectly neutral pH of 7.0

None that has anything to do with being 'clean' 'sanitary' or 'sterile'.

You should boil the distilled water, which removes the oxygen and makes it sanitary or sterile depending on how long you boil.

Ok, so I guess I dont get the different between being Distilled, Steril and Sanitized. They all sound pretty clean to me.

So, if I boil the distilled water, will it take the oxygen out of it?

Does this mean that if I used distilled water that the washed yeast will be shi*#, or that I just might have a higher probability that it wont be viable 6 months later when I take it from the fridge?

unless you are keeping the yeast in the freezer I dont think you will be able to store yeast for 6 months.

Well, Im getting conflicting reports on the lifespan of washed yeast. I have read that some people can save it for 6 months, others have said well over a year. I have also seen people say just a couple months. From what I have gathered, the more trub mixed with the yeast, the less time it will last in the fridge. I dont know if thats true or not. Also, toss it once it starts to get that peanut butter color.

Anyhow, I have the ability to freeze it, as I have been stocking up on glycerin. A 25% yeast, 25% glycerin, 50% water is what I plan to use.

Does this all sound right to you guys?

Quote = Rather than boil water, and cool it (which is such a god awful hassle...)

That was a joke... Though, Im sure you can sense my underlying lazyness.

So again, how long does it last washed in fridge, and how long does it last washed in freezer with glycerin?

unless you are keeping the yeast in the freezer I dont think you will be able to store yeast for 6 months.

I've never done the freezer or slants, so the others will have to chime in on that.

However, I've used wash yeast for a year after harvest. If you are boiling the jars, and being very sanitary, it can last a long time. I've gone overboard and actually use a pressure canner to boil my jars to sterilize them, but it's overkill I'm sure. I make sure that all of the trub is gone, and save only clean yeast. I store it in the kegerator at 40 degrees until I use it.

I've only had one that I found unusable. I thought I did a good job of washing/saving it, but it had a bad odor to it so I threw it out.

I don't know how long it really lasts in the fridge, but I have used some 6 month old saved yeast before after pitching a starter to make sure it's viable with no problems.

As far as frozen it should last almost indefinitely if it is prepared and stored properly.

Back