different bottles = different tastes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlaureanti

Reaction score
So I have been trying my recently bottled homebrew and they all seem to taste a bit different. All the beers are stored in the same place and at the same temperature. Why would some be different than others?

There are zero off flavors.... some have all the hoppy goodness that I intended but others seem to have no hoppy notes at all?!?!?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Perhaps different carb levels for each. I'm assuming you are adding the priming sugar to the bottling bucket and then ottling from there. Perhaps your priming sugar is not mixing well and therfore leading to over/undercarbing for some bottles thereby affecting the hop flavor.

Hmmm... need more information here. Could you describe what kind of beer(s) and in which bottles you're experiencing this?

Did you pour these into the same kind of glass, on the same night? Or were these taste differences perceived on different days?

TB

I boiled the priming sugar in water and then added to the bottling bucket and gave it a gentle stir. I used mainly 12 oz glass bottles but some were sierra nevada bottles (short ones) and some were regular long necks. I used 3 22 oz bottles but I haven't tried those yet. The trend I'm getting so far is the more carbonation that I'm seeing the less hop flavor I am getting. I made an esb with (boil) amarillo @ 60 kent @ 50 fuggle @ 40 kent @ 30 fuggle @ 15 and amarillo @ 1 min. It was super hoppy and very tasty all the way up to bottling. I primaried for 1 week and secondaried for 1 week and have been bottle conditioning for 1.5 weeks. I have been checking carb levels daily (solely for scientific purposes of course)

My take on it is that each bottle is at a slightly different stage in the bottle conditioning. Possibly from different amounts of yeast provided to each. You are only 1.5 weeks into bottle conditioning and with time I imagine the flavors will balance and the variance will dissipate.

I boiled the priming sugar in water and then added to the bottling bucket and gave it a gentle stir.

Put your priming solution in sanitized bottling bucket FIRST, then rack your beer onto the top of it. Position the end of the tube so is creates a gentle whirlpool as it comes together. There will be no reason to stir it.

If you have your beer in the bottling bucket, and then pour in your cold priming solution it will dive right to the bottom of the bucket. A gentle stir might not mix it well. Your first bottles will have more priming solution, and your last bottles a lot less.

However if they are all equally carbonated and you have different levels of hoppiness I am at a loss. Another possibility is, depending on your procedure, you might be getting some trub with pellet hop residue into it,or different levels of yeast, again probably related to getting differing ammts of trub/yeast cake. For example if you are bottling directly from a fermentor or secondary.

I can't imagine the bottles having anything to do with it, but might be wrong. If you are positive they taste different there has to be a reason.

Best way to drive yourself crazy is to start sampling bottles too quick.

Latest posts

Back