Introducing off flavors when bottling from keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutt98

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I recently entered three of my brews in a homebrewing competition and had decent results for two of them. Even medaled in the best in show. However, my third beer, a white IPA, scored very poorly with both judges saying it was nearly undrinkable. Off flavors noted included skunky and metallic. I've had several people drink this beer from the keg with zero complaints and I still have some left and I can't detect any of these off-flavors. All three beers were bottled at the same time, in brown bottles, and kept together while they were in my possession. So, no light exposure that I'm aware of and no off-flavors noted in the other beers. So, do my friends and I just have a dead palate, or is it possible something else happened here? The only difference I can report from the bottling process was some excessive foaming from the poorly rated beer. Just curious if anyone with more experience has any thoughts. Thanks as always for the knowledge!!

I just used my Tap Cooler for an IPA and forgot to purge the first one and that one was off ,but was consumed 2 hrs after bottling. I think with IPA's you need a counter pressure filler.

^^ This is what I do too. I will also taste the bottles on the day of judging so they are aged the same and I have a good idea of what they're tasting.

That said... This isn't fool-proof. It's possible the sample that the judges had might have been oxidized by a loose cap, tainted bottle, first pour from the keg that brought some baddies with it, etc.

To know for sure, I think you should probably send us all a sixer so we can sample and test for off flavors. Actually, make that a 12er for me please.

^^ This is what I do too. I will also taste the bottles on the day of judging so they are aged the same and I have a good idea of what they're tasting.

That said... This isn't fool-proof. It's possible the sample that the judges had might have been oxidized by a loose cap, tainted bottle, first pour from the keg that brought some baddies with it, etc.

To know for sure, I think you should probably send us all a sixer so we can sample and test for off flavors. Actually, make that a 12er for me please.
I like a guy who’s willing to go the extra mile for the hobby!

My first thought was oxidation. And that bottling process was a ***** (using a beer gun). I actually might have an extra bottle still. I’ll see if I can figure anything out.

Back