cleaning and storing PET bottle (pop bottles)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
hi the pros and cons of bottling in PET bottles has been discussed many times before and many people use soda bottles for beer successfully but i dont believe its been discussed about cleaning and storage. although i no longer bottle in 500 ml pop bottles i now keg in 2.5 liter and 3.5 liter PET bottles and need to clean and store them.

PET bottles and glass bottles are totally different animals in terms of cleaning . i can go to town on a glass bottle that i found in the bottom of a cesspool with a bottle brush and then oxiclean it and sanitize it to almost new condition.
not so with PET - no brushing obviously due to the scratching ( although theres a shami cloth - cloth bristle brush that i have seen online im trying to acquire) -

storing is also a little troublesome i cant seem to get them to dry out when put on a rack there always seems to be a little condensation in them which can then develop a smell if capped. and when they due drip dry they sometimes end up with a film in them.

i saw one guy on here just rinses them then spray pumps a couple of squirts of vodka in them to keep sterile. and caps them to store. i would prolly use everclear if anyone can attest to this.

anyway how do you clean and store your pop bottles if you use them? thanks.

I use PET pop bottles for making root beer (I pressurize them using carb caps). When done, I rinse thoroughly and drain, then pour a couple ounces of Starsan solution inside each. Screw the caps on, give them a few shakes, and put away.

Later when I use them again, just drain and fill. They're sanitized and ready to go.

thanks thats exactly what i was looking for . i was wondering the same but wasnt sure if long term contact between starsan and PET could be a problem.

Reusing pet bottles for very short term storage for beer would not be ideal, but ok. Long term storage isn't a good idea. O² blockers added to pet have a finite lifespan and degrade fast, especially when recycling a soda bottle of unknown age. If I had to choose a pet bottle to reuse, it would be a thicker green bottle from a nationwide brand vs a thinner clear store brand bottle.

The beer industry only uses brown pet bottles for very high turnover (short term) use in specific venues like concerts for very good reason.

I've got a 2L pop-bottle with the carb-caps on it for my cleaning/sanitizing/purging tasks and for at least the last year or so it's been continuously full of Star San, sometimes in higher concentrations, and I've yet to see any visible degradation. I have a very sensitive palate and find the taste of plastic very noticable and off-putting, so after reading this; I went downstairs and put a disconnect with a hose on it and took a sip....No plastic taste whatsoever; just that 'tap-watery' Star San taste. Not scientific, but usually reliable.
EDIT: I should add: All my lines are EVABarrier and Bevlex 200 because I can taste the plain vinyl ones...I only use vinyl for blow-off tubes.

I use PET soda water bottles for most of my beer. My only issue is that occasionally a thin, faint layer forms on the inner walls (presumably adhered yeast). I get it off by putting some raw rice and soapy water in and shaking!
And yeah, drying can take forever. I often give the bottles a good swing to dislodge stubborn drops and then let the remainder dry up.

thanks for the replys i keg in 3.5 liter amber pet bottles. they are similar to pop bottles but they were originally used for a low abv hopped beer like beverage called kvass so i imagine they have some shelf life for hopped malt carbed liquids (maybe oxygen barrier?). they seem to be working very well so i need a way to clean and store them for reuse .

i use to also sometimes get a yeast film when i used to bottle in soda bottles so i appreciate the replies. i particularly like the rice trick and may try that if needed.

Attachments

• 1699538443233.png
    1699538443233.png
    140.3 KB · Views: 0
hi the pros and cons of bottling in PET bottles has been discussed many times before and many people use soda bottles for beer successfully but i dont believe its been discussed about cleaning and storage. although i no longer bottle in 500 ml pop bottles i now keg in 2.5 liter and 3.5 liter PET bottles and need to clean and store them.

PET bottles and glass bottles are totally different animals in terms of cleaning . i can go to town on a glass bottle that i found in the bottom of a cesspool with a bottle brush and then oxiclean it and sanitize it to almost new condition.
not so with PET - no brushing obviously due to the scratching ( although theres a shami cloth - cloth bristle brush that i have seen online im trying to acquire) -

storing is also a little troublesome i cant seem to get them to dry out when put on a rack there always seems to be a little condensation in them which can then develop a smell if capped. and when they due drip dry they sometimes end up with a film in them.

i saw one guy on here just rinses them then spray pumps a couple of squirts of vodka in them to keep sterile. and caps them to store. i would prolly use everclear if anyone can attest to this.

anyway how do you clean and store your pop bottles if you use them? thanks.
Hi,

I contacted Bill Moore, Owner of Williams Brewing, regarding bringing in some Keggi kegs.

He said he would make contact with the manufacturer in Brazil concerning bringing in some of the Keggi products. Stay tuned.

Cheers
Bob

wow bob. super psyched. i have been waiting on a quote from nirobeer a keggi distributor in argentina but it still pending .

thanks

Latest posts

Back