Decanted, collected yeast cake, Carbonated!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delaney

Reaction score
Hey,

I made a 5.3 gallon starter. I cold crashed for 48 hours, then decanted yesterday. Yesterday, I used 1/3 of the starter right away after decanting, which has succeeded in initiating fermentation.

The remaining 2/3 of the yeast cake is in a growler. I wasn't thinking and screwed the cap on tightly. It was in the fridge(35F) as such overnight.

Today I did another brew. I removed the starter from the fridge and put it at room temperature for 8 hours, so as to not shock the yeast when I pitched them at 70F. When I was ready to pitch the yeast, I swirled everything around, and unscrewed the cap. It seemed to be carbonated to the degree that a beer might be. I just pitched it an hour ago, so we'll see if it takes.

I'm a little worried about what I did to my starter...I have the remaining 1/3 in the fridge, with tinfoil around the mouth of the jar. I'm pretty sure I still have viable yeast, but will this result in stressed out yeast or something??

There's always pressure on your white labs vials and such... Not to mention there's alot of info on fermenting under pressure around here. Relax it's going to be fine.

Latest posts

Back