Deal Reached in GA craft beer battle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you can assume that if the wholesalers are going for it (they who have hundreds of thousands for campaigns) and if the politicians agree (they who suck up the hundreds of thousands), then it isn't the BEST possible deal. But it is one small step.

I love the great benevolence of the lobbyist for the wholesalers who reached out to the craft brewers as soon as he thought they might be harmed by the decision of the Dept of Revenue.

Ohh dear GOD please let us just run our businesses! Uhhhhggggg All we want to do is make a product, share it and try and make a small profit with it so we can continue to offer it!

OK off my soapbox....I see its not the debate forum :)

Carry on..

Cheers
Jay

This is an absolute joke... They make this sound like it's such a great deal, but really we are back where we were before the distributors and the department of revenue colluded to change regulations behind closed doors. Oh, and the breweries, represented by the Ga Craft Brewers Guild, have to agree not to push for other legislation this session. This at a time where there is a lot of momentum behind making changes that make sense. The air is now out of the balloon and it's going to be difficult to see any meaningful change in the near future.

A sad day for brewers in Ga.

so, fill me in... i used to live in atlanta when i could go to sweetwater most days after work and drink and do tours until the late hours. recently i know it changed to say saturday 10-1 only, and a few other odd windows. it used to be $8 for a glass + 6 drink tickets, or free + 3 drink tickets in a small glass. NOW they sell tours, different prices for what you get? or is it basically the same as before?

havent been up to GA in a while

Prior to SB63 being passed last year, breweries were not allowed to sell beer directly to consumers, period. What they were allowed to do was provide 'samples' of up to 32 oz total for free to folks who came to the brewery. That's what most breweries did - they'd "sell" a tour or glassware and provide tickets for free samples of beer.

SB63 was introduced last year with the goal of allowing breweries under a certain capacity to actually sell limited amounts of beer for offsite consumption (I believe the initial ask was for 128 oz or so) in addition to allowing for onsite sales. What ended up getting passed was a much more watered down bill but it did allow for breweries to sell tours and give away 'souvenir' beers for offsite consumption. Part of the agreement there was that breweries could sell differently-priced tours and give away different amounts of beer as souvenirs (e.g. you pay for a 2-bottle tour and get 2 bottles to take home, you pay for a 3-bottle tour and get 3 bottles to take home etc.). This was seen as a bit of a win for the brewers as they could now expand their tap-rooms and tour areas and, while not "technically" selling their beer for offsite consumption, effectively sell their beer. A side note - the brewers still pay excise taxes on this souvenir beer even though they're "technically" giving it away.

Anyway... fast forward to late September... the Georgia Beer Wholesalers Association (GBWA) had closed door meetings with the Dept. of Revenue and lo and behold, new regulations that contradicted the earlier regulations appeared. Now, breweries were no longer allowed to sell different levels of tour. Understandably, everyone except the GBWA was furious... brewers had spent lots of money expanded their facilities based on the regulations that had been put in place after SB63 was signed and now were cut off at the knees.

There was some good investigative journalism that found that indeed all this had happened at the behest of the GWBA so some of the high-ranking politicians in the state got nervous and started railing at the DoR to reverse it's position. Of course, brewers and the beer community in general were equally pis*ed off and a lot of momentum began to build for a more comprehensive overhaul of the antiquated laws we have here in GA. Lots of people were calling state reps, the DoR, the governor's office etc. so the governor apparently told everyone to get in a room and sort this out.

At the end of the day, we end up right where we were after SB63 was passed and the folks representing the breweries agreed to not propose any legislation this year (which happens to be an election year). We basically lost all momentum we had for real change and next year when we no longer have elections to hold over reps heads, we won't have the leverage we had this year. All in all, I can't see any silver lining to this stupid agreement.

GA politicians are generally recognized as some of the most *ahem* influenced politicians in the nation. GWBA has great influence (i.e. a big checkbook) .. much moreso than the craft brewers guild. Liquor and beer put bigbucks inthe governors campaign chest !

Latest posts

Back