CZECH AMBER LAGER: recipes anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zonkman

Reaction score
Hard to believe there's not one of these in the database, but so be it. I've found a few unverified ones online, but nothing tried and true.

Here's what I'm leaning towards thus far:

GRAIN
3 lb Maris Otter
3 lb Pilsner malt
2 lb Munich malt
1 lb Rye malt
0.5 lb 60L Crystal malt
0.5 lb Melanoidin malt
2 oz Chocolate malt (I've seen others use Carafa or Chocolate Rye, but I have plenty of chocolate malt on hand... figure 2oz won't overpower, right?)

HOPS SCHEDULE
2 oz Saaz [4% AA] at 45 minutes
1 oz Saaz [4% AA] at 15 minutes

YEAST
Saflager 34/70

8oz melanoidin sounds like a lot to me, though a quick search shows that 5% is not unusual. If it seems thickly sweet when young, give it time. Let us know how it works out.

Looks good, although I would probably go with all Pilsner rather than splitting the Pilsner with Maris Otter. But nothing wrong with using Maris Otter. I say brew it, taste it, adjust it and then add it to the recipe database when you're satisfied with it!

Hard to believe there's not one of these in the database, but so be it.

That may be because Czech amber lagers don't really exist?
Historically, true Czech amber lagers were a mixture of Czech Pilsner and Czech Dark Lager, brewed and fermented separately and then mixed before serving to get the right color.

Thanks so much all. Here's what I'm thinking now....

5lb Vienna
3lb Dark Munich
1lb Rye Malt
1lb Flaked Rye
0.5lb 60L Crystal
1oz Chocolate Malt

The amended recipe doesn't look like what I would picture an amber czech lager would be (not having had one).

Yeah, it's gone Rye Vienna, with an oz of choc. My curiosity to see what this will taste like has overtaking Czech Amber ambitions, for now.

I'll keep the original saaz hop schedule though.

Suggestions welcome still!

Not a style I've heard of before, but I started messin' with it in recipe software and I came up with this for 5 gallons: (not terribly different from your first recipe) Use low mineral water.

6.5 lb European pilsner malt
2 lb American dark Munich (20L)
2 oz Carafa Special I (or chocolate malt)
1.5 oz Saaz (4%) @ 60 minutes
.5 oz Saaz (4%) @ 15 minutes
Saflager 34/70

But I would probably use an equivalent amount of Sterling or Magnum hops for the bittering instead of Saaz, and a full ounce of Saaz at 15.

Czech lager recipes rarely contain more than 4 types of malt: pils, munich, caramel, and roast. They also tend to use caramel malts at a higher % than what is used in Germany.

Back