Crystal 20, 40, 80 120 Substitutions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris_Primavera

Reaction score
So

I have a pound of Special B which, I'm told is roughly equivalent to Crystal 120.

If I want to brew a recipe that calls for a pound of Crystal 20, can I substitute less Special B? What if I have a pound of C40?

Thoughts?

special b is an equivalent to crystal/caramel 120. as far as using less to equal a crystal 20. not really. all crystal variations have unique properties

color wise I'd say a half pound of c-40 would be equal to 1 pound c-20 or quarter pound of c-80.
I don't know that the flavor would b the same...

So

I have a pound of Special B which, I'm told is roughly equivalent to Crystal 120.

If I want to brew a recipe that calls for a pound of Crystal 20, can I substitute less Special B? What if I have a pound of C40?

Thoughts?

In short, no.

Special B is especially hard to use for something else- it has a very distinctive flavor.

You can sort of get the same color by using less of a darker malt as a sub for a lighter malt, but not the same flavor at all.

Latest posts

Back