High gravity in Robobrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

williamneal

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a robobrew and want to brew an Imperial Stout. I am looking at a recipe that contains over 20 lbs of grain for a 5.5 gallon batch. Can I substitute some DME in place of some of the grain? I believe that the Robobrew can take about 14lbs of grain. I would be looking to substitute 6 lbs of DME for 6 lbs of pale 2 row. Would this have a negative effect on the flavor.

I don't know anything about AIO's, but i would think you could split the grain bill in half and use the "first runnings) for striking in the second half, then boil as usual. I would have DME on hand at least for the first try.

I’m far too lazy to bother with reiterated mashes for high gravity brewers in my brewzilla. I always add malt extract to make up the difference.

6 lbs of dme would substitute for rather more than an equivalent weight of grain though.

If you normally get 75% mash efficiency, you could substitute 0.6 pounds of DME for every pound of grain

Based on my perception and competition results I don’t believe there is any negative impact.
My 50% extract RIS won beer of show last year at Australian amateur championships.
At state level I’ve also had good results from high gravity beers made with 50% extract.
There is plenty of good info available on how to get the best out of brewing with extracts. I believe it’s best to add them late in the boil, about 10 minutes remaining. It’s good to get them well-dissolved before adding to the kettle. I draw of some of the wort to a separate pot and get the extract well mixed before adding back.

Personally I would not worry about pushing the robobrew for maximum capacity. It performs much better with 5.5kg grain than with 6.5kg. If I was doing it I’d make things easy for myself and mash 12 pounds and make up the missing 8 pounds with 4.8 pounds of extract

You will get terrible efficiency with a maxed out grain bill. Aim for a smaller volume to fermenter and supplement with malt extract if you need.
You could add sugars in fermenter as well.
I did a reiterated mash in my robobrew then sized up to a guten 70 litre which makes high gravity brewing 25 litre batches all grain easy.
But even said only get 63% bhe, but I do get a partigyle brew out of the batch as well which makes for efficient grain use.

Back