Crazy fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! I've had some blowouts, but never anything that major! Have fun cleaning that up. :) Make sure you soak those BrewHauler straps in some PBW, or they'll start to smell like vinegar (ask me how I know).

I believe it's because you filled up your carboy pretty high without headspace. You should give it at least 1 gallon of headspace. For example, if you have 5 gallons of wort, you'll need at least a 6 gallon carboy (I'd go for 6.5 to be safe).

I also see that your thermometer is on the side. As you know, fermentation causes HUGE temperature swings - which could warm the fermenting wort into the upper 70's or even 80's possibly causing this blow off.

Try taping the thermometer to the side of your carboy next time. I usually insulate it with a few folded-over paper towels and hold it all down with tape. That will give your temp control device a more accurate reading. You can also insert the sensor into the fermenting wort itself, but it must be sanitary.

There's a fermometer on the side of the fermenter that read a max of 70 today. Unless the thing is broken it hasn't gotten way too high

And yes it was filled to the 6 gallon mark and I also included the trub and may have over oxygenated the wort

Checked the temp with a sanitized digital thermometer halfway down the middle of the fermenter and it read 66.8 Fahrenheit.

It does not look like any of the krausen made it to your blow off container. The shaft of the airlock most likely was plugged by the rising krausen causing the pressure to build and blow the fermentor lid. Most airlocks taper at the bottom with a small × cut into them. Cutting off this taper will open the airlock shaft and usually prevent plugging.

I would also place the blow off container level with the bottom of the fermentor, or lower if possible, to prevent the chance of suck back if the temperature in the chamber drops.

Thanks. I've never thought of that. I do need to get some new tubing so I went back with the old way. I was using the new big mouth lid on it. It doesn't stay put very well though even with a session brew it creeps up

Back