Cr@%%y digital thermometers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Argh, another Wal Mart digital thermometer (and $8) out in the trash. This one lasted no time at all! Seems as soon as they are in steam, they die. SURELY they make one which is made for these conditions / environment. If anyone has any experience with a GOOD one please lemme know. If you have had success with one, do you think it's because its a good brand / good construction or maybe you just have been lucky or you take some certain precaution to keep this from happening that you could share with the rest of us?

Thanks...

I've had really good luck with the bi-metal type thermometers. The best one I've seen is from Williams Brewing:

http://www.williamsbrewing.com/AB1605000/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=462056&St=7953&St2=80864434&St3=77068383&DS_ID=2&Product_ID=546&DID=7

Yes, bi-metal is slower to read, but the resolution is more than adequate for mashing and they are surprisingly accurate and durable (unless you step on them, been there done that.....). I leave one in the mash for the full hour with the lid closed. No problems after 50+ batches.

It's worth mentioning that I also bought a mercury calibration thermometer to keep on hand to check and calibrate the bi-metal one, but it rarely needs calibrating.

Prosit,

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
Argh, another Wal Mart digital thermometer (and $8) out in the trash. This one lasted no time at all! Seems as soon as they are in steam, they die. SURELY they make one which is made for these conditions / environment. If anyone has any experience with a GOOD one please lemme know. If you have had success with one, do you think it's because its a good brand / good construction or maybe you just have been lucky or you take some certain precaution to keep this from happening that you could share with the rest of us?

Thanks...

I too have blown through several digital probe thermometers. Finally, I decided to spend a few extra bucks and get a quality one. After hours of googling, I came across this model. I've only used it once for my mash (it was submersed) and have used it several times after for other duties. The water/steam/heat from the mash had no effect. Check it out!

I'm on my third one as well. If I could buy extra probes for these things I think it would be worth it. They are hard to find though.

Anyone know where to find those?

The one I have kind of looks like the "wort monitor" on the Williams brewing page but I got mine from Target.

VTfan, if you would please answer me this...

The failure of most of the thermometers with a flexible cord is in that the cord is not waterproof. The tip should not be submerged past the solid part or liquid will get into the probe. Does this one seem to be sealed? Did you submerge the cord as well as the probe when you used yours?

Thanks...

DyerNeedOfBeer said:
VTfan, if you would please answer me this...

The failure of most of the thermometers with a flexible cord is in that the cord is not waterproof. The tip should not be submerged past the solid part or liquid will get into the probe. Does this one seem to be sealed? Did you submerge the cord as well as the probe when you used yours?

Thanks...

The cord is completely sealed with some sort of rubber material. I did not need to submerge the cord, so I didn't attempt it. The problem I had with the cheaper models was that the probe was bent at a 90 degree angle and I could never get the probe to stay in the mash without having the cord follow. This model has a straight probe and comes with a suction cup, velcro, and magnets, giving you multiple mounting options . I mounted the probe on the suction cup and attached it to the side, avoiding submersion of the probe. The only negative with this was that the temperature was being taken from a single location near the side of the cooler. In my next batch Im going to experiment a little and submerse the probe and cord. I can let you know how that goes, although it won't be for several weeks.

One thing to note is that the other models I've used died without having the cord submersed. Just the steam from the mash was enough to kill it.

Long stem thermometer

The description says 8" but it is 11.5" as in the name. I think the description was just a cut and paste from their 8" model which otherwise is identical. I called to verify the length was indeed 11.5". I will evaluate this and let you know how it stands up to the steam environment compared to those 'Wal-Mart' brands. This is three times the price but Iv'e gone through three 'Wal-Mart' ones already. This one is also nice since my hand won't scald so bad while I'm measuring temp due to the long stem. Also, I can measure the temp of my starter wort while it is in the Elermeyer flask. This flask is tall with a narrow mouth so this will help tons.

Back