Conversions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildlife1

Reaction score
Ok my giant brain home brewers,what is the formula for converting malted grain to malt extract?Example 1pound of dme =?pounds of malted grain. I am looking to make a barleywine using rye and rye malt and haven't found a malted extract for rye.

That conversion table is a good rule of thumb, but it makes some assumptions - for example that the base grain has 36 ppg, LME also 36ppg, DME 45 ppg, and that you are getting 75% efficiency. It should get you close enough but if your efficiency (or the assumed efficiency of the recipe you are converting) is way different you may need to adjust accordingly. Also I think most rye malt only has 29 ppg, so again it may be a good idea to double check your numbers after converting the recipe. It's a little trickier using rye extract, places like morebeer and northerbrewer sell it but they are blends of base, rye, and crystal. If you post your whole recipe you can get some more specific advice.

Back