Extract equivalent in grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMV

Reaction score
In general what would be an equivalent amount of liquid malt per pound of grain? I am trying to use supplies I have to craft a recipe. I guess a better way to ask would how many pounds of grain to make one pound of liquid malt that would result in equal sg?

You can use a computer, but it's not hard to calculate. One pound of liquid malt in one gallon of water is 1.036 gravity (36 PPG). It varies a bit with efficiency, but ballpark one pound of malt in one gallon of water should get you to about 1.025--1.029 gravity (25-29 PPG). Dividing, the two, 0.70--0.75 pounds LME should equal one pound of grain. Or, since it's what you're really after, 1.25--1.45 pounds of grain per pound of LME.

Just a caution as someone who does partial mashes a lot, when converting recipes always make sure you have enough diastatic power when you're done substituting to convert the rest of the mash! It's an easy mistake to make...

Just a caution as someone who does partial mashes a lot, when converting recipes always make sure you have enough diastatic power when you're done substituting to convert the rest of the mash! It's an easy mistake to make...
A simple guideline: use a pound of 2-row brewers malt (DP 140) for each pound of specialty malt (results in a partial mash with DP of around 70).

Latest posts

Back