Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We did not have them when I started. Pansies afraid of infection used a sanitized turkey baster to start the siphon...the rest of either used the thumb over the tube end our a nice oral siphon starter.

That said, love the autosiphon. Just put a 1/2" or more of star san on the back side of the seal before you start and no extra O2 introduction.

I just filled the hose with some starsan and turn it over. Worked like a charm. I can't see why I'd go back to an auto siphon at this point.

I squeeze my sack, oh and I have yet to find a reasonably priced freezer so I am constantly fighting with my fermentation temps.
Oh, and I kinda really like squeezing my sack.....been that way since before I started brewing....well that's a different story for a different forum

Hey, I've had my ferm chamber for a while now so I can void my confession.

Though I have a new one, I don't usually take multiple gravity readings. After two weeks I take one and keg assuming my beer is near or below target FG. To me, taking multiple readings is opening up my precious beer to the elements unnecessarily.

Hey, I've had my ferm chamber for a while now so I can void my confession.

Though I have a new one, I don't usually take multiple gravity readings. After two weeks I take one and keg assuming my beer is near or below target FG. To me, taking multiple readings is opening up my precious beer to the elements unnecessarily.

Plus if kegging it's not going anywhere at 38F anyways

So, uh... I'm still using that cracked lid. It may have caused a mild infection in my last batch. On investigation, it will no longer hold an airtight seal. I wanted to buy a new lid last week, but the boss wouldn't permit the purchase.

So, I brewed another batch anyway! Right now, the bucket is in my basement with a woodworking clamp holding the lid on tight (because I couldn't quite get hot glue to do the job). Looks like it's holding a seal! I sprayed everything down with starsan throughout all the fiddling, and I did pitch a healthy yeast starter. But if someone wants to weigh in with a comment to boost my confidence, I'll appreciate it. I'm mildly concerned about this batch.

BONUS CONFESSION #1 - I listen to my wife, even when she's being irrational.
BONUS CONFESSION #2 - I'm an idiot.

So, uh... I'm still using that cracked lid. It may have caused a mild infection in my last batch. On investigation, it will no longer hold an airtight seal. I wanted to buy a new lid last week, but the boss wouldn't permit the purchase.

So, I brewed another batch anyway! Right now, the bucket is in my basement with a woodworking clamp holding the lid on tight (because I couldn't quite get hot glue to do the job). Looks like it's holding a seal! I sprayed everything down with starsan throughout all the fiddling, and I did pitch a healthy yeast starter. But if someone wants to weigh in with a comment to boost my confidence, I'll appreciate it. I'm mildly concerned about this batch.

BONUS CONFESSION #1 - I listen to my wife, even when she's being irrational.
BONUS CONFESSION #2 - I'm an idiot.

Sounds like a prime time to try open fermentation

I do spend nearly as much on brewing, time or money, as I do on racing cars that should not even be allowed on the street (often, they aren't) let alone on the racetrack...

But I spend more time drinking beer than racing.

Meh, I have done about 22 batches now with just the lid sitting on top of my 20 gallon HDPE barrel. No ill effects and I kind of plan to keep doing it that way.

I've wondered about sending commercial beer into a competition and seeing how it might place or what kind of notes it might get.

The beer would score 0 stars. The criteria set forth by Lord Papasian and used by BJCP judges to evaluate home made and craft brewed stuff wouldn't cover beer produced by a brew master. If a commercial IPA was entered and if it didn't contain cat urine, astringency and pine soap characteristics the judges would give the beer a 0.

I like eating vanilla ice cream with LME on top, its amazing.

I'm not the only one though right?

I mix a tablespoon into a glass of milk all the time... sometimes with some chocolate syrup.. yum..!

Confession: I brewed a 5 gal batch with 4 gal of ingredients. Forgot I had split some off for my SIL's 1-gal batch a couple weeks earlier. No doubt, it's the lightest Centennial Blonde out there. :D

I've returned hydrometer samples to the wort, pre- and post-fermentation. Never had an issue...but I've stopped doing it with my last few batches just in case.

Also, I pretty much always brew when I'm pretty buzzed. Somehow, I always end up with good beer lol.

I probably drink too much on brew day. Makes anything past grain steeping a little sloppier that it could be.

Doing a double batch one day, an IPA and a Bohemian Pils. Some friends came over and we started drinking. Between shootin the bull and drinkin too much I dumped the lager yeast starter in the IPA. :smack: Good news is it turned out great. I called it 'Czech out my Ale'.

Bless me fellow brewers, for I have sinned;

I never boil the water I use to re-hydrate dry yeast.

And my carboy brush is covered with rust....mmmmm iron.

Alright I'm coming clean.

I don't make starters any more but I've only had one beer in 10 years of brewing not take off

I pitch only one vial of yeast even for lagers

I only cool my beer off to 75F before pitching and finish cooling off in the temp controlled freezer

Can't think of anything else that would be considered sacrilegious.

Edit: Oh I forgot a big one... I never ever taken a hydrometer sample to check when a fermentation is done. I always use the vulkan way and mind meld with the beer to see when it is done.

Last edited:
I check the FG but only for alcohol content. I don't do it before bottling or Kegging.

I was all "ah **** it, no infections yet, it'll be grand!"

And this boys and girls, is why my Revvy's Leffe Clone tastes like donkey dong

bGDoSF.jpg

I just read this entire thread. It took a few days.

I don't worry about sanitation on the hot side much but I do on the cold side.
I reuse starsan forever and I just rack off any particulates that accumulate in the bucket I store it in.

I use dry yeast for the most part unless I can get one of my brewer friends to give me yeast from the brewery and I leave my meads on primary for a year sometimes.

Finally started brewing ALOT this year. Was really slacking the last couple years on making beer.

Shocking confession: My brew setup is pretty simple - Yes I have all the toys but I revert to KISS due to time constraints alot of the time.

I like to warm up my smack packs in the waste band of my pants while I brew. It's like a chicken sitting on it's eggs to keep it warm. Haha

Back