Confession Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wi_brewer

Reaction score
Don't make starters? Poor sanitation practices? What do you have to "confess"?

I'll start.

I've never used a blowoff tube. I oxygenate with pure O2, pitch adequate starters, and ferment at the lower end of the optimal temp range. Never found a need for one.

I fear the foam. Star-San foam that is. Whenever I sanitize my carboys before I pour in my wort I always do a second small rinse to get some of that foam out. Harp all you want about star San breaking down into yeast nutrient or what not but it bothers me how that star San tastes, and I don't quite like the idea of THAT much foam going into my beer. Doubt I need that much "yeast nutrient" in there either, especially when I have actual yeast nutrient to use if I want to.

First 7 batches I ever did, I never aerated. Didn't even know what aeration was or that it had to be done. Nothing mentioned in the kit instructions. I just brought wort up to volume, cooled, pitched, fermented. Beers turned out great in spite of it. But maybe could have been better? I'll never know...

First 7 batches I ever did, I never aerated. Didn't even know what aeration was or that it had to be done. Nothing mentioned in the kit instructions. I just brought wort up to volume, cooled, pitched, fermented. Beers turned out great in spite of it. But maybe could have been better? I'll never know...

Meh, more than 100 batches in, I still just splash aerate.

Have a science degree and my note making still sucks. do the basics in brewsmith, nothing more.

I often filter the yeast out of my beer, but recently I did several batches in a row and started with a beer with rye in it, and contaminated the next beer with rye flavor despite my (apparently not good enough) filter cleaning.

I once punched a bum....:eek::(

I brewed for years without a hydrometer. I simply checked the airlock activity and racked to secondary when it slowed to next to nothing, then I'd wait another week or so. I did not bottle in those days, so no bottle bombs...

I don't clean my counter flow chiller or my O2 air stone. I just rinse them right away with Starsan and store them in Starsan until next brew day.

I also don't use a recipe most of the time. Just grab one of the premeasured and precrushed bags of base malt that came in my last Midwest order, which might have been 2 months ago. When the mash is working I open the freezer to see what my hop options are. Most of the time I just use the hops that are in open packages.

My mash tun and kettle are aluminum with brass fittings. As a chemist I know I'm supposed to worry about galvanic corrosion, but it just doesn't seem like a problem.

Oh, and my mash temps are CRAZY high. I have difficulty controlling it and have had some go up to much higher than desired. I think my Barleywine got to near boiling at one point (had too my much to drink that day). Still tasted great.

I have used a cleanser to clean a carboy. Hot water a rag and swirl, rinse repeat until there is nothing visable on the glass or plastic. I always clean them immediately after emptying, I'm sure that helps.

My temperature control occasionally sucks during mash and don't take gravity readings.

. I bottle all my ales at ~14 days. It always works just fine.

Ha ha ha...I do that also. But I go for around three weeks or when I have time to keg it and sometimes I do not clean out the FV until two or three days later. Gotta love the Marks Keg and Carboy Washer.

I consider using a drill powered paint mixer during chilling and a funnel adequate airation.

I've pitched 4 different beers into the same carboy and onto the same yeast cake/trub/et all. Beer was just fine.

This is genius...I use a spoon to stir during cooling and then a paint mixer once it is cooled to aerate...I am embarrassed to admit I never considered using it to effortlessly agitate the wort while chilling. Bravo!

Im an eater, and the wifes a feeder, i think i will pop one of these days.
I hate late people and being late, on time is 15 minutes early.
Im a nervous driver, so much so i chew on the inside of my cheek to the point it bleeds.
but seriously, i dont bother taking FG anymore.
All of the above is true.

Big weight of my shoulders, thanks guys...

I don't follow recipes either. I just pick up whatever the homebrew store has in that day. I also never measure ingredients. Usually I just open the fridge with my eyes closed and grab whatever my hand touches first. I just throw ingredients in until it "feels" right.

I never cool my wort. I just pitch yeast at some point and walk away. I usually don't bother with an airlock since we all know the c02 blanket protects the beer.

Measuring Gravity is for newbs. It's just beer. Sometimes I don't even pitch yeast and it turns out ok. Making yeast starters is for idiots. Total waste of time. I've never noticed a difference in the 1500+ batches I've made. I've won countless medals, too many to list, and my friends all love my beers.

Don't worry, have a homebrew and do what ever feels right: DWHAHADWFR.

You guys are like outlaws. After reading these I feel like I am taking this hobby way to seriously.
But. I never wash my equipment. I rinse and scrub with water as soon as I get done with a piece and then sanitize on my next brew day. Haven't had a problem yet.

My preboil sanitation doesn't exist
If I take the FG before packaging it's to know if I'm in the ballpark - the 3 day rule is gone
I adjust recipes to accommodate my inventory before the first try

I do try to keep processes intact and repeatable, but those ones just didn't make the cut.

You guys are like outlaws. After reading these I feel like I am taking this hobby way to seriously.
But. I never wash my equipment. I rinse and scrub with water as soon as I get done with a piece and then sanitize on my next brew day. Haven't had a problem yet.

I try to keep my equipment clean and I hope me partner does too:D

Don't be too serious:p

One time I dropped a non-sanitized pint glass into my primary bucket just before adding my yeast...and just reached into the bucket up to my elbow to retrieve it.

Two months later, it took 3rd place in the CASK Beer Blitz. Maybe I should sanitize less often.

Latest posts

Back