Coconut Porter w/ Sabro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sbe2

Reaction score
Thinking about doing a coconut porter and looking to use Sabro in the dry hop along with dried coconuts. Am I crazy? I have a half a pound of it left and would like to experiment with it a bit.

I don't think you're crazy. I've had a few coconut stouts that were amazing. I'm sure it's not too far a leap to coconut porter. The Sabro seems like a good hop to use, as well.
Keep us posted.

Thinking about doing a coconut porter and looking to use Sabro in the dry hop along with dried coconuts. Am I crazy? I have a half a pound of it left and would like to experiment with it a bit.
I had the exact same thought. Did you try it?

This is not meant to discourage, but I used sabro in a dark beer, and wasn't crazy about the results. It was only in the dryhop, and it was wort from a local brewer, not my recipe (a slightly stronger than normal version of an Irish stout IIRC). I had the same thought process, but it wasn't to my taste (I do like sabro in general).

Not crazy at all. I recently had a coffee coconut blonde ale on tap that I used Sabro in to help accent the coconut. Came out good, but I added coconut in boil instead of in primary, so coconut flavor/aroma was a little low.

I suppose in a dark beer like a porter, Sabro's coconut notes might be overwhelmed. Even in the coffee coconut blonde ale with added coconut, the flavor and aroma weren't strong. Thanks for the excellent input!

You’re not crazy, I tried it too. It sounds great in theory but to be honest, it did not work for me. I brewed a stou t with 6% roasted barley and 3% Carafa, 2 oz in boil 4 oz dryhop and I got more of that hoppy stout and no definitive coconut flavor( or even woody flavor) I was disappointed

Last edited:
HBC472 in the boil/WP would be better.

Sabro has some coconut but to me it has more tropical fruit and cedar/dill. Can’t stand the hop personally.
I am planning on doing just that with a coffee porter. Any experience on which characteristics are favored in late boil vs WP for HBC472? Trying to decide which route to go with to get the coconut and bourbon out of it.

I am planning on doing just that with a coffee porter. Any experience on which characteristics are favored in late boil vs WP for HBC472? Trying to decide which route to go with to get the coconut and bourbon out of it.

I don’t have enough experience to say one way or the other... I’ve made three dark beers with it. It’s kinda hard to get the hop to come through with a bigger roasty beer. If you want a noticeable contribution I’d shoot for like .5oz/gallon WP maybe? Depends on the beer and how much it has going on.

I don’t have enough experience to say one way or the other... I’ve made three dark beers with it. It’s kinda hard to get the hop to come through with a bigger roasty beer. If you want a noticeable contribution I’d shoot for like .5oz/gallon WP maybe? Depends on the beer and how much it has going on.
Appreciate it! First time using it, so I was originally planning on going with around 0.2oz/gal. I’ll kick that up a bit.

I did a simple cream stout that is only 5.2%. Used 3oz of HBC-472 in the WP (5 gallon batch). Still in the "lagering" stage. Will probably tap it in 1-2 weeks...I'll update this thread with the results.

So I tapped this beer today:
IMG_3221.jpg

Can't say I taste the HBC-472 at all. An excellent milk stout, roasty and smooth, but no coconut or bourbon flavor to my palate.

Not to take the focus away from stouts... But I had a piece of banana bread with coconut on it today. Would a heff with a little sabro addition be any good? I've had good luck with Sabro used heavily in IPAs and this thread got me thinking.

Just thinking out loud here.

Back