Cleaning a DIY floating diptube (silicone hoses)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beervoid

Hophead & Pellet Rubber
Reaction score
After a bad experience with my floating diptube (see previous topic) I thought this subject might be worthy of its own thread.

How do people here clean the inner tubing from these float tubes? Or silicone tubes on that note.
They are a pain in the @&& to remove from the diptube.

I used to keep em connected and soaked them in pbw. I disconnected them after a few uses and boiled them for a bit but there are always some bits and pieces of stuff left inside.
The first few uses it doesnt seem to be a problem to just rinse and sanitize but after a couple of uses I get anxious to use them in the fermentation vessel.

I also use larger diameter silicone tubing as a blowoff and these can become particularly dirty from dried blowoff... Soaking in pbw didnt seem to do a perfect job either.

Never had a problem with a good PBW soak and rinse. I always disconnect them.
Do you have the type with the filter at the end? If you're getting crud stuck inside, maybe you'll want to take the cap off the filter part in order to get a good flow of rinse water through it. I leave mine out, and just back-flush from the filter side, but I suppose taking the cap off might help with your issues.

Never had a problem with a good PBW soak and rinse. I always disconnect them.
Do you have the type with the filter at the end? If you're getting crud stuck inside, maybe you'll want to take the cap off the filter part in order to get a good flow of rinse water through it. I leave mine out, and just back-flush from the filter side, but I suppose taking the cap off might help with your issues.
I can see some spots up in the tubes, something like dry yeast perhaps that is very persistent and was worried this might interfere with the fermentation.

Back