Floating Dip Tube Leaves Stout in Keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My first keg of post-comeback stout is about gone, and I am not happy with the performance of the floating dip tube. Seems like a lot of beer is getting left behind.

I figured I was smart enough to figure out how to adjust a tube. Maybe I overestimated myself.

I run the tube from the gas tube to the little stainless tube on the float ball. I put a stainless nut on the little stainless tube. If I put it on the silicone tubing, it can ride up, but if it's on the stainless tube, it stays next to the ball and SHOULD keep the pickup opening as low as possible.

I adjusted the tubing length so the ball and pickup could reach the bottom of the keg, and then I added a few inches for insurance. I didn't want a lot of slack because I thought it might cause trouble.

Last night it looked like there might be over a quart of beer still in the keg, but it's sucking gas when I pour.

So what am I doing wrong?

It definitely can't be too LITTLE slack, since the tube is more than long enough, so your suggestion is the only slack-related answer that could be right.

I just saw a video promoting a different invention called a Flotit. They claim it only leaves an ounce or two in the tank. I have spent at least a hundred bucks on the standard ball floats, but if they don't work, I am ready to dump them.

I found out what's happening. A site called Home Brew Finds explained it.

The pickup is below the ball. When it hits the bottom and collides with yeast, the ball is still floating in over an inch of beer. The yeast causes pickup problems. The Flotit is designed to avoid this.

So I suppose I could adjust my old system so the pickup is just above the yeast at its lowest, but it seems smarter to buy Flotits and admit the old design is inferior.

https://www.homebrewfinds.com/2022/...ating-dip-tube-w-dfi-double-filter-inlet.html

Because my keg is nearly empty, I decided to open it up and get to the bottom of this. I don't care if it gets infected. There are about two servings left in it, and I should be able to knock those off today. Also, the beer was probably overcarbonated, so opening the keg up and messing around should fix that.

The clear tubing is stiff and has a permanent bend. This is the biggest problem. Yeast is only a problem if you have enough to to interfere with dispensing.

If you don't turn the tubing the right way when you install it, the bend will push the ball and pickup to the side of the keg. This prevents the pickup from resting at the deepest point, so you start sucking gas sooner.

To make it work, you shorten the tube so the weight of the hardware pulls it as straight as possible. Then when you install the tube, you make sure it's turned so the ball is in the center of the keg, not at the side. Then when the beer runs out, the pickup will land somewhere near the real bottom of the keg.

To me, it looks like you only need a Flotit if you have a lot of yeast. I'm sure it's somewhat better than an old-style ball even without a big yeast cake, but the difference seems much more important if the yeast is there.

Making the old floating dip work correctly by positioning the tube a certain way is a pain in the butt. I would guess the Flotit also requires this effort.

Maybe it's possible to take the bend out of the tubing by boiling it. No idea. It was stupid of the inventors to use stiff tubing.

I am inclined to go back to the old steel tubes for dispensing, since I don't ferment in the serving keg, and only use Flotits for transferring from fermenting kegs.

Those floating dip tubes come with too much hose. I trim it so that the pickup hits the center dimple at full extension.

I managed to get almost three glasses of magnificent stout out of the keg after shortening the tube and aiming it at the center of the keg. I also confirmed that people here were right when they said the stout was overcarbonated in another thread. It's a good day.

I should also add that I ordered a couple of Flotits.

I'm not waiting for them to get here. I have beer to brew, and I would rather lose some than waste time. But after they arrive, I will try them out ASAP.

I have a couple FLOTit 2.0 that I use for fermenting in Torpedo kegs and I use one of these in my Fermonster. Both work great but I've never used them in a serving keg.

I recently bought some other parts that came with a Torpedo brand floating dip tube and noticed the tubing is much thicker and stiffer than what came with the FLOTits. It's stiff enough I wouldn't want to use it and I imagine it would be even stiffer after a good cold crash or sitting in a serving keg at serving temp.

My new concern is that pouring hot wort into a Torpedo will loosen the tubing and make it come off the pickup and liquid tube. I really do not want a conventional wort chiller, so I hope this problem doesn't materialize.

Back