Clarification please?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I think I may have been doing something wrong (well, less than optimal). I was reading the 10 tips for extract brewing and got to the part about step small boil big.

I have been brewing extract with grains for my first few brews. I usually use a boil volume of 3.5-4 gallons. My usually process is to add the full volume to the pot, add the grains, turn on the heat , and let the grains steep for 30 mins as the heart comes up.. being careful not to exceed 170. I remove the grains after 30 mins and bring it up to a boil and add the malts etc for my 60 min boil.

Is this the best method? Should I steep the grains in a smaller amount of water and add it to the big boil pot after steeping?

There's many different ways to achieve the same outcome. As long as your gravities are on the money and the beer tastes good, your doing it right.

It taste good... But I have to admit I havent taken gravity readings very often. Actually this last brew is the first time I've taken one. The reason is, I have a old hydrometer that takes about a 14 oz sample, and it just seems like a waste of beer. Do the newer hydrometers use less sample?

The sample size for your hydrometer should depend more on the size cylinder you are using than the size of the hydrometer. 14 oz is quite a bit for a sample though. Your process sounds fine otherwise.

For the steeping; it looks to me like your doing it just fine.

You can use any container you want for your hydrometer sample as long as the hydrometer fits in it. So You just need a tall skinny tube like container.

Latest posts

Back