Citra/Cascade APA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crispymountain

Reaction score
Doing my second all grain batch and decided to try to come up with a recipe myself. Needless to say, I haven't been decisive about any part of it. I'm shooting for a crisp, easy drinking APA, perfect for a hot September!

OG: 1.053
FG: 1.011
IBU: 39
ABV: 5.5%

Grain:
9.2 lbs (77%) American 2-row
1.5 lbs (12.5%) Munich
.8 lbs (6.7%) Flaked wheat
.5 lbs (4.2%) Victory

Mash:
152 F for 60 mins

Hops:
0.5 oz Centennial - 60min
0.5 oz Cascade - 15 min
0.5 oz Citra - 15 min
0.5 oz Centennial - Hopstand at 170 for 20 minutes
0.5 oz Cascade - Hopstand at 170 for 20 minutes
0.5 oz Citra - Hopstand at 170 for 20 minutes
2.0 oz Cascade - Dryhop on day 5 of fermentation
1.0 oz Citra - Dryhop on day 5 of fermentation

Yeast:
White labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast x 1 (is it worth throwing 2 packets in? don't have the means to do a starter right now)

Open to any and all suggestions. I feel like I pulled this together from a hodgepodge of places so I just want to be sure I'm on the right track here.

I think you are indeed on the right track...I don't see anything wrong with the grist or the hop schedule. Should be delicious and exactly what you are aiming for. I didn't start playing with Victory or Biscuit malt until about my 20th batch :cool: .

Looks good to me, too. I hopstand at 150F, though. The idea here is to do this below the boiling off point of some of the hop oils. But there is conflicting information on the "internets" as to what these boiling points might be. So I go a bit lower and sit it a bit longer.

From Beersmith:

Myrcene – (147 F/63.9 C boil point) – The largest of the hop oils, making up 40-60% of the hop oil content in many American varieties (Cascade has 50-60%), though most noble hops are low in myrcene (Saaz: 5-13%). Mercene boils off readily, and can even volatilize in a high temperature steep (147F), so you will lose it if you boil it. It has a herbal note that can be described as green, balsamic, hoppy in small quantities. It also has a slight piney/citrus flavor. As a result of its low boiling point, it is present in much higher quantities in dry hopped or steep-hopped beers. It tends to provide a “green hop” or fresh hop aroma when used in dry hopping.

The other oils allegedly boil off over 200F.

Last edited:
Little late but an update: Came out great! Best beer brewed to date, although that's not saying much. Huge hop bomb coming out of the keg so not sure if it technically fits the pale ale style but a delicious beer none-the-less!

Back