Cider Yeast Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morrey

Reaction score
Greetings. Time slipped up and cider day at the orchards is this weekend and I have no yeast at this point. My LHBS doesn't have WLP775 which I have used before with success, but suggests I try Safcider dry yeast.

I want my cider to get down to 1.000 (or close) since I like to retard the yeast and back sweeten SLIGHTLY to have a dry cider with a hint of sweet....perhaps in the 1.004 range. Meaning if I use a yeast that finished sweet, it will be too sweet for my goal.

Just want to make sure the safcider yeast doesn't strip the apple flavor like cotes de blanc I used before.

Maybe MO2 from mangrove jacks? I’m also trying a French saison yeast (Wyeast I think) that smells great but I’ve yet to taste

I was going to suggest Cotes de Blanc (sp?) because I've had great success with it.

S-33 works well... I also liked the 1 gallon batch I made with Voss Kveik, but it seemed to reduce the acidity quite a bit. (hard to really judge that with just one small batch, though.) And AW4 is another yeast I keep coming back to.

I used WLP773 and SO4 this year. There didn't seem to be much difference in the end result. The SO4 primary was quite turbulent and finished in two weeks whereas the WLP773 took over a month to get down to 1.030.

After two months in secondary the SO4 seemed to stabilise at 1.002 and remained there for another month at which point I bottled after adding FAJC and juice to bring it up to 1.005 for carbonation (assuming it would finish at 1.002 again in the bottles, but of course I don't know if this was the case, it could well have ended up at 1.000 because it is well carbonated). The WLP773 ended up much the same but overall took longer.

Both had similar apple blends and ended up with petillant carbonation, dry with just a touch of sweetness to offset the dry tartness. Happy with both.

Tried the cider made with French saison today, tastes AMAZING, lots of character, 20 days into secondary.

My favorites are Nottingham (best flavor, good workability) and S-04 (good flavor, excellent workability). Are you looking to do more of a wine-type cider or an ale-type cider?

I used WLP773 and SO4 this year. There didn't seem to be much difference in the end result. The SO4 primary was quite turbulent and finished in two weeks whereas the WLP773 took over a month to get down to 1.030.

It took a month to get to 1.030? From 1.050-1.060? What was the temp.? My WLP773 went pretty quick.

Hi MarkKF

Yep it was a bit perplexing. I thought it might have stuck but it did get going eventually. Part of the problem might have been that it was "last years" WLP773 which was all I could find here in Oz. Its expiry date was Jan 2018 but I didn't start using it until April. I started with half a vial in a gallon and eventually added the rest of the vial

I had sought some advice about the slowness on HBT around April but eventually it all sorted out. The temperature initially was 45 F in our outside store room but things started to happen once I moved it inside to 60 F.

Hi MarkKF

Yep it was a bit perplexing. I thought it might have stuck but it did get going eventually. Part of the problem might have been that it was "last years" WLP773 which was all I could find here in Oz. Its expiry date was Jan 2018 but I didn't start using it until April. I started with half a vial in a gallon and eventually added the rest of the vial

I had sought some advice about the slowness on HBT around April but eventually it all sorted out. The temperature initially was 45 F in our outside store room but things started to happen once I moved it inside to 60 F.

Thanks for that. The WLP773 that I have is from the vault buy earlier this year and has a July use-by date. I'm intending to do a starter and I've been wondering what temperature to shoot for. I'm OK with slow, I really want to get this yeast to attenuate at the 80% claimed by White Labs. Not sure what protocol to shoot for to get that to happen.

A few friends suggest lallemand belle saison, and Marshall from brulosophy was mentioning it. I just pitched in 4 gallons of winesap/Granny Smith...I asked for 5 from a friend, and showed up with 8! So, I also need a yeast for the 2nd 4 gallons.

Easy button would be WY1968, my fave for Pale ales, or 34/70, as I have on hand. But, I'm thinking to swing by LHBS and go with 1 of these 5: Notty, S04, Safcider, Lalvian Narbonne, or cotes du Blanc. Help me narrow down. Trying for relatively sweet, but will likely need to backsweeten regardless.

I do 5 of belle Saison every year. I try to pitch when it’s warmer.

I do 5 of belle Saison every year. I try to pitch when it’s warmer.

This fall started Belle Saison in a heirloom blend with crabs. 1.048-1.004 in 12 days (prob. less) and clearing nicely.

IMG_9863.JPG

Back