Chinook in place of horizon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yourrealdad

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello going to make an IPA and the recipe calls for 1 oz of Horizon at 60mins. My buddy grew some Chinook hops and gave me about 1.25oz. Will Chinook be a good substitute for Horizon?

From what I have read they seem to be somewhat similar, with maybe Chinook being a little more piney.

The other hops in the recipe are Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo. I have all the other hops so trying to cheapen the recipe.

Thanks for the feedback.

Hello going to make an IPA and the recipe calls for 1 oz of Horizon at 60mins. My buddy grew some Chinook hops and gave me about 1.25oz. Will Chinook be a good substitute for Horizon?

From what I have read they seem to be somewhat similar, with maybe Chinook being a little more piney.

The other hops in the recipe are Centennial, Simcoe, Amarillo. I have all the other hops so trying to cheapen the recipe.

Thanks for the feedback.

In your case, no. You don't know what the bittering level of the home grown chinook hops are. It might be high it might be low. You want to cheapen the recipe by saving $2 on hops, but you do so at the risk of $10-$20 in other ingredients and time. A 1 oz bag of something like apollo, columbus, magnum will cost about $2. That will be plenty of bittering.

i say yes. chinook and ipa go together, and they go great with those other hops. bacon: what's the problem? not knowing the exact aa? not really a deal with ipa's with me...

i say yes. chinook and ipa go together, and they go great with those other hops. bacon: what's the problem? not knowing the exact aa? not really a deal with ipa's with me...

You're assuming it will be on the high side. It might not. If it's low you end up with a not IPA.

But aren't Chinooks typically 10-14% and Horizon 11-14% AA? If that is all I am worrying about then I think I should be fine. I am more worried about the flavor and aroma profiles mixing with those other hop additions.

Flavor and aroma will mix fine. But they are your bittering addition so it won't be too noticeable. AA could be very different that commercial, or it could be a solid 12%. Can't say without analysis. I say go for it. Worst case I guess you have a pale ale with a big nose. I would probably dump the whole lot in at 60. What is your predicted OG and IBUs?

I don't use whole hops, but from what I have read it is a risk to try to use home grown hops for bittering. I would use some commercial bittering hops and use the Chinook hops for flavor and aroma.

Back