Cheers to Michelob

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doctorRobert

Reaction score
Went to pick up some light beer the other day (I'm getting fat, one shouldnt drink homebrewed IPA everyday) and I saw the Michelob display, not only do they list out the OG, but the hops used as well and the IBUs. This is more information than almost all craft breweries give out.

Michelob Lager is one of my favorite American-style beers. It's good stuff and one of AB's better brews.

Isn't it all malt? I seem to recall that being the big difference between Bud and Michelob.

wow, yes I would agree that honesty in advertising is rather rare :)
they just 'gained a stripe' to me!

That's one reason why I like Lagunitas, all the info they pack on the label. That and they have REALLY tasty brews!

Love their Light and Lager.
Used to drink them lots for the bottles till they started switching over to twist-offs. :mad:

Check the 12 packs before you buy if you are drinking for bottles.

I see they are selling a pale ale.couldnt say i seen this coming, still waiting to see what miller does. Miller ipa triple hopped lager 12 ibu.

At least Michelob puts forth some effort in this regard. Nice to know whats in there. I never minded Michelob products, really. Cant say I would ever buy them but.. Speaking of listing hops, what does Budweiser use for hops? Coors light? Probably Galena? Would be interesting to find out..

I have to Play Devils Advocate here and state that I personally believe that the ONLY reason that they list Hops,SG,Etc,etc is to try to market there product to the people who pride themselves on drinking craft beer or Brewing there own beer. I firmly believe that this is nothing more than an advertising ploy to get us to drink their cheap swill. But then again, I am not a light beer guy, I only like the taste of Dark amber or darker beers and Honestly I prefer Brown ale,Porter,Stout, etc. Plus I do not like AB's Practice of buying out the competition. I personally will not buy ANY Inbev Or BMC Product If I i Buy beer, which honestly does not happen often at all, I will buy from an independent that has not caved in and sold out to Inbev. But I also do not look down on those who enjoy BMC beer, my best friend is a die hard coors light drinker, and tho he will try my beers, he always goes back to his Coors Light.

I have to Play Devils Advocate here and state that I personally believe that the ONLY reason that they list Hops,SG,Etc,etc is to try to market there product to the people who pride themselves on drinking craft beer or Brewing there own beer. I firmly believe that this is nothing more than an advertising ploy to get us to drink their cheap swill. But then again, I am not a light beer guy, I only like the taste of Dark amber or darker beers and Honestly I prefer Brown ale,Porter,Stout, etc. Plus I do not like AB's Practice of buying out the competition. I personally will not buy ANY Inbev Or BMC Product If I i Buy beer, which honestly does not happen often at all, I will buy from an independent that has not caved in and sold out to Inbev. But I also do not look down on those who enjoy BMC beer, my best friend is a die hard coors light drinker, and tho he will try my beers, he always goes back to his Coors Light.

+1

Boo big beer. My friends probably get annoyed by how I start talking about the beer industry everytime I go to walmart and see the AB shrine in the beer aisle.

I have no problem with Michelob or their products, but they do seem to try to get the craft market share in strange ways - at a bar near my work in Tribeca, I ordered what they had labeled as their house ale. It was a decent malty amber. I asked the bartender about it, and he said not only is it a Michelob Amber, but every other bar that serves a house ale in the neighborhood serves the same thing.

I see they are selling a pale ale.couldnt say i seen this coming, still waiting to see what miller does. Miller ipa triple hopped lager 12 ibu.

Tenth and Blake Beer Co.

As for BMC I refuse to buy it or drink it.

I have to Play Devils Advocate here and state that I personally believe that the ONLY reason that they list Hops,SG,Etc,etc is to try to market there product to the people who pride themselves on drinking craft beer or Brewing there own beer.

What other reasons should they have? Do the smaller breweries do it for any different reasons?

Shame on them for marketing towards people who like good beer and providing info that beer drinkers would like to see. Wankers. All they want to do is sell more beer - the jerks.

The only thing worse then BMC are pompous beer snobs that get off on vocally bashing a style they don't enjoy. I wish homebrewers weren't so common to attempt to build up their passion by dumping on others. Can anyone give an example of when bashing and insulting another helps your cause? Of course not.

The only thing worse then BMC are pompous beer snobs that get off on vocally bashing a style they don't enjoy. I wish homebrewers weren't so common to attempt to build up their passion by dumping on others. Can anyone give an example of when bashing and insulting another helps your cause? Of course not.

could not have said it better myself.

i drink the beer that i like. i could care less what name is on the label.

what was the pot calling the kettle? :D

I really don't care if a company even names their beer, let alone lists stats on the label. If it's good I'll buy it. All the Michelob offerings that I've had never really made too much of an impression on me, but same can be said for a lot of microbrews I've had.

That said, I do like supporting "the little guy" over the big corporations, but as of late that usually means heading to the micro on the other side of the block from my apartment to get a pint.

Shame on them for marketing towards people who like good beer and providing info that beer drinkers would like to see. Wankers. All they want to do is sell more beer - the jerks.

When they do it just to try to cut the sales of Small craft brewery's, Or bully the distributors so they they dont carry craft brew on their trucks, or go into a store and place there cheap swill in the craft brew section, just to detract from other companies sales, or file total BS lawsuits against a craft brewer over the name of a beer that was out BEFORE they started making a version of it, Yes it is a bad thing, They know they cant out sell craft brewer's using fair practices so they use whatever underhanded dirty business tactics they can up to and including buying off politicians.

That isn't the idea of capitalism the founding fathers of this country had in mind, The point, if they want to beat these company's, they should do it by making a better quality product than the competition, which they do not, and will not because it cuts into their bottom line profit, so they instead use every corrupt dirty and often ILLEGAL business practice they can. And you think this is Okay? What do you work for AB? They dont care about the beer in the slightest, all they care about is that they have the biggest market share,make the most sales,and make their swill as cheaply as they can. Yes all businesses are out to make money, But the craft brewers do it by providing a Better quality product, no matter how much it cost them to make because they know that the customer will pay MORE for better quality, that is true in any business, Look at the price tag on an SSC Ultimate Aero some time and compare it to a Camero Or compare a BMW to a Lincoln Town car. Higher quality always has a higher price, but you Didn't see BMW asking for a bail out, Nor did you see SSC asking for a bail out, because of GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Went to pick up some light beer the other day (I'm getting fat, one shouldnt drink homebrewed IPA everyday) and I saw the Michelob display, not only do they list out the OG, but the hops used as well and the IBUs. This is more information than almost all craft breweries give out.

Bet they don't list the amount of corn and/or rice you're drinking in the 'sham-pang-yah' of beers :D

When they do it just to try to cut the sales of Small craft brewery's, Or bully the distributors so they they dont carry craft brew on their trucks, or go into a store and place there cheap swill in the craft brew section, just to detract from other companies sales, or file total BS lawsuits against a craft brewer over the name of a beer that was out BEFORE they started making a version of it, Yes it is a bad thing, They know they cant out sell craft brewer's using fair practices so they use whatever underhanded dirty business tactics they can up to and including buying off politicians.

That isn't the idea of capitalism the founding fathers of this country had in mind, The point, if they want to beat these company's, they should do it by making a better quality product than the competition, which they do not, and will not because it cuts into their bottom line profit, so they instead use every corrupt dirty and often ILLEGAL business practice they can. And you think this is Okay? What do you work for AB? They dont care about the beer in the slightest, all they care about is that they have the biggest market share,make the most sales,and make their swill as cheaply as they can. Yes all businesses are out to make money, But the craft brewers do it by providing a Better quality product, no matter how much it cost them to make because they know that the customer will pay MORE for better quality, that is true in any business, Look at the price tag on an SSC Ultimate Aero some time and compare it to a Camero Or compare a BMW to a Lincoln Town car. Higher quality always has a higher price, but you Didn't see BMW asking for a bail out, Nor did you see SSC asking for a bail out, because of GOOD BUSINESS PRACTICES.

Can you tell me what they do that is illegal? I'm genuinely interested.

Bet they don't list the amount of corn and/or rice you're drinking in the 'sham-pang-yah' of beers :D

Bud advertises the use of rice in their beer - its no secret. What's wrong with rice or corn? A lot of great beers use rice/corn derived ingredients. I believe pliny the elder has corn sugar in it.

I dont get why people get so hot and bothered by BMC. Nobody is forcing you to drink it. BMC made their beers to respond to the general consumer. Not to long ago light beer didnt even exist. The general consumer wants light beer. That's why BMC has market share and the only reason. They wouldnt brew it if it didnt sell.

There are plenty of avenues to get good beer. Nobody is starving for good beer in this country (except for Alabama).

I never met a beer I didn't like, well at least once, it's all about the experience for me. I just wish I had a better memory:D. I love the fact that if I'm low on homebrew and have $6 in my pocket there are enough cheap brews out there that I have multiple selections to choose from to make it interesting.

Some would argue that life is too short to drink cheap swill, I say life is too short not to try them all.:mug:

Weren't you the guy on the corner with the sandwich board that read "Down with BMC"

I don't see them doing anything illegal.

I like Michelob. They are one of the very few BMC beers that don't seem to pander to the young "adult" childish behaviour. And their craft line of beers is not that bad. I really like their Original Lager beer that is a light American Lager from way back before they started making diet beer. Yeah, it's a Light Lager, but its got some real flavor.

Not everything has to be extreme.

And why are we complaining when a macro company informs us what's in their beer? Isn't behaving like a craft brewer what we want them to do?

+1

Boo big beer. My friends probably get annoyed by how I start talking about the beer industry everytime I go to walmart and see the AB shrine in the beer aisle.

You do recognize the slight bit of hypocrisy in this statement, right? ;)

I find the hatred towards BMC amusing.

Someone does not like the idea that they buy up smaller breweries and become huge companies. That is one of the first rules that you learn while taking business classes in college. Companies get bigger by purchasing other companies.

So how do you rate the best beer in the USA?

If you asked the average American what the best beer is the answer would undoubtedly be a BMC product.

In-Bev can sell beer for cheaper that I can buy bottles.

I find the hatred towards BMC amusing.

So how are those imperial ales at your local stores? Not so funny anymore is it??? Think that BMC doesn't contribute the max to campaign contributions to keep their beer the most readily available in your state? Think again.

Miller/Coors just got done screwing ALL the local craft breweries in my state. I have no love for BMC and refuse to drink their products. If you choose to giggle and be amused while you suck down an ice cold BMC product that is your choice.

Zamial said:
So how are those imperial ales at your local stores? Not so funny anymore is it??? Think that BMC doesn't contribute the max to campaign contributions to keep their beer the most readily available in your state? Think again.

Miller/Coors just got done screwing ALL the local craft breweries in my state. I have no love for BMC and refuse to drink their products. If you choose to giggle and be amused while you suck down an ice cold BMC product that is your choice.

This. Some of us don't support the business practices of AB-InBev and SabMC, so we don't buy their products. We also choose to share our reasons for boycotting when given the opportunity. I'm not sure what is so amusing about that.

I live in a 3.2 state.

If you want a beer stronger than 3.2 ABW then you have to go to a state owned liquor store.

So yes the grocery stores have mostly BMC products (there are 2 or 3 local breweries that make 3.2 brews).

If you want a micro you go to the state owned store, which to my knowledge has no BMC products.

You could always steal a few of there kegs to make keggles out of, that may make you feel better about the situation.

Can you tell me what they do that is illegal? I'm genuinely interested.

One article i seen on one of there illegal practices talked about a Rep that went into a bar, noticed that the bar had a craft brew on tap and proceeded to tell the bar owner that unless they removed the craft brew, they would not longer get ANY AB products. Apparently they considered that blackmail, which is illegal.

Also, the way the tier system is set up was SUPPOSE to be to protect the all the brewers, But the way it worked out, is that since Inbev makes so much money, they pretty much TELL the distributor what beers they can and cant carry, Or they flood the distributor with so much of their product that there isn't room in the warehouse for craft brews.

The AB reps tell the stores HOW and WHERE their beer AND their competitors beers are to be displayed, Pushing craft brews out of sight, and making sure that their beers are in all the PRIME display locations. This should be the STORES choice on Beer placement, NOT a Brewery Reps choice.

Shortly after Moonshot came out, which was the first Beer on the market with Caffeine in it, AB also produced a beer with Caffeine, and went about getting THEIR posters put up and Moonshots posters taken down.

They Sued Dogfish head, because of the name of Punkin ale, who btw was making that beer BEFORE AB decided to market a pumpkin beer.

Are all of these Illegal? No they are not. But are they very Shady and unethical Business practices? Yes, yes they are.

Why do they do this? Because they know that they cannot produce a product that is Superior to the craft brewers, So they use any means at their disposal to try to Impede the sale of QUALITY craft brew,Try their best to make it so their beer is the ONLY choice, and yes buy off politicians to vote they way they want on beer related laws.

If inbev produced a Product that was of Equal Quality or better quality, Using the Equal Quality Or better quality ingredients, and followed ethical business practices in the marketing of their beer you would not hear a word from me about it.But Hell Most of the BMC beers are not even made with real hops, they are made with a liquid hop extract of Iso-alpha acids. That isn't quality, and doesn't produce the same taste that real hops do.

But i can say this, I dont like light colored beers personally, but their ARE much higher quality Light colored beers out there, Many of the German Light beers blow any AB product out of the water as far as quality, and they do so without the unethically business practices.

Weren't you the guy on the corner with the sandwich board that read "Down with BMC"

I don't see them doing anything illegal.

Do you really think that they are going to announce their Illegal/Unethical practices? For that matter to you think any one in that corporate office has ANY CLUE what ethical business is?

Back