Wild Specialty Beer Cheat Tart Gose (All Extract, Kettle Soured)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadwolfbones

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale K-97 x2
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
10 @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
5-7 (optional)
Tasting Notes
Bright, tart, slightly salty—just like a gose should be.
3 lb. Pilsen DME
2 lb. Bavarian wheat DME
1 oz. Czech saaz [2.4% AA] (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Sea salt (10 minutes)
1 oz. Crushed coriander seed (5 minutes)
1 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot (either way, about 40 billion cells)

This will probably be one of the easiest beers you ever make. The recipe is as simple as they come. It's a pretty common one, but I didn't see it posted here, so I figured I'd get it in the database for all to enjoy. Upshot of doing it this way is that you kill all the bugs when you boil, so you don't have to worry about infecting your equipment.

Lots of credit to user porkchop over at the Northern Brewer forums for guidance.

Steps:

1. Bring water (I used 4gal, since I only have a 5gal kettle) to 170F and add DME. Keep it there for 10-15 minutes to pasteurize.
  2. Remove kettle from heat, cool to ~90-100F.
  3. If you're using water with hardness to it, add ~10mL 88% lactic acid (probably not necessary, but can't hurt).
  4. Add 1/2 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot.
  5. Keep temp between 90-100F for 18-36 hours, or until desired level of sourness is achieved. (Note: It won't taste as sour at this point as it will after fermentation, so don't wait for it to get crazy sour.) You can also use a pH meter if you have one. Shoot for 2.9-3.3. I use my Anova sous vide wand to keep a water bath at the right temp, but use your preferred method.
  6. Once appropriately soured, return kettle to burner and bring to a boil.
  7. While boiling, rehydrate 2 packets Safale K-97 (German Ale) per packet instructions.
  8. Once boiling, add 1 oz. Czech saaz pellets.
  9. After 5 minutes, add 0.5 oz. sea salt. After 10 minutes, add 1 oz. crushed coriander. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and cool to about 68F.
  10. Top up to desired fermentor volume (mine was around 5.25gal but 5.5 would be fine, too), aerate, pitch rehydrated yeast.
  11. Primary should take around 10 days and get down to about 1.008. You can safely bottle once it hits that gravity
  12. Carb to about 3.0 vols and enjoy! Mine fully bottle carbed within a week at ~65-68F.

Optionally, you can add fruit/herbs and secondary for ~1 week. I added lemongrass and Thai basil to my first batch, keeping it in the primary fermentor.

Looks like this when you're done:

LMrdmst.jpg

Sorry, forgot to change the drop-down. Obviously this is extract, not all-grain. (Can't see a way to fix it, maybe a mod can help out.)

I wanna try this but I am limited to supplies. How do you keep your kettle at a constant temp for the souring ? I am pretty new so I am just using a kettle on my stovetop been brewing extract only.

I wanna try this but I am limited to supplies. How do you keep your kettle at a constant temp for the souring ? I am pretty new so I am just using a kettle on my stovetop been brewing extract only.

Typically you'd use a water bath or a fermwrap-type fermenter heater. For the water bath you can use an aquarium heater, but I use my Anova sous-vide wand since it's already in my arsenal.

If you don't have access to those options, your best bet is probably to wait until summer.

Some people have messed around with space heaters in enclosed spaces, but it sounds dangerous and imprecise to me.

So I just started this beer today and I was wondering how much priming sugar solution to add to this after fermentation is done?

Hey there! I carbed mine to about 3 vols., But I'd say any safe level from about 2.8 up would be fine. You should use a calculator like Northern Brewer's to figure out exactly how much to use in yours.

Also, should mention that I did a 5gal batch of this with about 7lb of mango and a tincture of cayenne and New Mexico red chile and it was heavenly.

Is there any reason you used two packs of K-97 for a 5-gallon session beer? I'm getting ready to brew a kettle-soured Lichtenhainer and was only planning to use a single pack.

Is there any reason you used two packs of K-97 for a 5-gallon session beer? I'm getting ready to brew a kettle-soured Lichtenhainer and was only planning to use a single pack.

Probably from the low pH you are pitching the yeast into, they no likey

I'm gonna go with the answer being no. But any reason I can't use the blueberry goodbelly instead of peach? Is there any residual flavors from the goodbelly that you get.

Probably from the low pH you are pitching the yeast into, they no likey

This is correct. You need a higher cell count to have enough of them survive the low pH.

As for the GoodBelly, I was told that the Mango has the least overbearing flavor. I actually used the StraightShot variety last time (no extra flavor, just oats), and it also worked great. If you use Blueberry, let us know how it goes.

@bruhaha, for the first batch I used crushed lemongrass and fresh Thai basil (not macerated or anything), and for the second batch I used lots of pureed fresh mango and a tincture of cayenne and NM red chile in vodka. I filtered the tincture before adding it to the beer at bottling. Both the lemongrass/basil and mango were added to primary after the initial burst of fermentation was done, and left in for ~7-14 days, depending.

Just picked up the ingredients for this recipe. The guy at my local brew store looked a little confused when I told him about the Goodbelly. He didn't seem very confident, but it makes sense to me. Can't wait for the results!

Just picked up the ingredients for this recipe. The guy at my local brew store looked a little confused when I told him about the Goodbelly. He didn't seem very confident, but it makes sense to me. Can't wait for the results!

That guy? Don't worry about that guy. It works!

Just racked to secondary. It soured beautifully and gravity is now ~1.011 (from OG 1.042). I have it sitting on 5 lbs of peaches from my in-laws backyard. Unbelievable how simple and effective this recipe is. I am looking forward to posting the final results!:mug:

Edit: Additionally, my brew store was out of K-97. I just used US-05 instead. One packet, zero problems.

Last edited:
Thinking about trying to brew a batch this weekend but I don't have GoodBelly quarts or shots here and don't think there's enough time to get it shipped...So I was thinking of trying a sour wort(?) where after mixing in DME, etc. and cooling to about 120, throw unmilled 2-row in for 30 min, remove and then hold kettle at 100+ for 3 days--> proceed with normal boil. Anyone soured using this method? Any advice, does it work well enough? Or should I try to find pills to substitute instead?

3 lb. Pilsen DME
2 lb. Bavarian wheat DME
1 oz. Czech saaz [2.4% AA] (15 minutes)
0.5 oz. Sea salt (10 minutes)
1 oz. Crushed coriander seed (5 minutes)
1 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot (either way, about 40 billion cells)

This will probably be one of the easiest beers you ever make. The recipe is as simple as they come. It's a pretty common one, but I didn't see it posted here, so I figured I'd get it in the database for all to enjoy. Upshot of doing it this way is that you kill all the bugs when you boil, so you don't have to worry about infecting your equipment.

Lots of credit to user porkchop over at the Northern Brewer forums for guidance.

Steps:

1. Bring water (I used 4gal, since I only have a 5gal kettle) to 170F and add DME. Keep it there for 10-15 minutes to pasteurize.
  2. Remove kettle from heat, cool to ~90-100F.
  3. If you're using water with hardness to it, add ~10mL 88% lactic acid (probably not necessary, but can't hurt).
  4. Add 1/2 qt. Mango Goodbelly or 2x Goodbelly StraightShot.
  5. Keep temp between 90-100F for 18-36 hours, or until desired level of sourness is achieved. (Note: It won't taste as sour at this point as it will after fermentation, so don't wait for it to get crazy sour.) You can also use a pH meter if you have one. Shoot for 2.9-3.3. I use my Anova sous vide wand to keep a water bath at the right temp, but use your preferred method.
  6. Once appropriately soured, return kettle to burner and bring to a boil.
  7. While boiling, rehydrate 2 packets Safale K-97 (German Ale) per packet instructions.
  8. Once boiling, add 1 oz. Czech saaz pellets.
  9. After 5 minutes, add 0.5 oz. sea salt. After 10 minutes, add 1 oz. crushed coriander. After 15 minutes, remove from heat and cool to about 68F.
  10. Top up to desired fermentor volume (mine was around 5.25gal but 5.5 would be fine, too), aerate, pitch rehydrated yeast.
  11. Primary should take around 10 days and get down to about 1.008. You can safely bottle once it hits that gravity
  12. Carb to about 3.0 vols and enjoy! Mine fully bottle carbed within a week at ~65-68F.

Optionally, you can add fruit/herbs and secondary for ~1 week. I added lemongrass and Thai basil to my first batch, keeping it in the primary fermentor.

Looks like this when you're done:

LMrdmst.jpg
Is your total boil time only 15 minutes? Or is there a full 60 minute boil that I’m not seeing in this recipe?

Is your total boil time only 15 minutes? Or is there a full 60 minute boil that I’m not seeing in this recipe?
The only reason to really do a 60min boil is for Hop utilization and or drive off DMS(if you still believe in that) some people are doing no boil with DME these days.

The only reason to really do a 60min boil is for Hop utilization and or drive off DMS(if you still believe in that) some people are doing no boil with DME these days.

Yup! You don't even really need to boil to sterilize/pasteurize. Just need to get it to 170F. This recipe doesn't really require hops, either—totally optional—but you'd probably want to boil a bit just for the salt and spices.

Got it brewed and the keg is almost floating now. I ended up using the blueberry good belly shots bc mango was not available when I went to buy it. Added 6# frozen red raspberry for 10 days that I had crushed and pasteurized. Smells like flintstones children vitamins, tastes lovely. Second batch in primary now with the mango. Here’s a picture soon after force carb so it’s a little cloudy. Thanks for the help and great recipe!

Attachments

• 49D088A2-4BA6-42F3-B399-739D3F9BA248.jpeg
    49D088A2-4BA6-42F3-B399-739D3F9BA248.jpeg
    784.5 KB · Views: 136
Got it brewed and the keg is almost floating now. I ended up using the blueberry good belly shots bc mango was not available when I went to buy it. Added 6# frozen red raspberry for 10 days that I had crushed and pasteurized. Smells like flintstones children vitamins, tastes lovely. Second batch in primary now with the mango. Here’s a picture soon after force carb so it’s a little cloudy. Thanks for the help and great recipe!
Awesome!!

I am in the process of making a very similar beer & I used Yakult to inoculate in lieu of GoodBelly. So if you can't find GoodBelly, check your local Asian grocery store for Yakult. It's a different strain of lacto but will sour the beer just fine. They come in similar-sized bottles, also.

Typically you'd use a water bath or a fermwrap-type fermenter heater. For the water bath you can use an aquarium heater, but I use my Anova sous-vide wand since it's already in my arsenal.

If you don't have access to those options, your best bet is probably to wait until summer.

Some people have messed around with space heaters in enclosed spaces, but it sounds dangerous and imprecise to me.

How quickly has this beer gone from brew day to serve? I have a half batch at day 7. The airlock has been inactive for 3 days.

7 days sounds about right to me. But you should really be checking the gravity to see if it's stable and at roughly the expected level.

7 days sounds about right to me. But you should really be checking the gravity to see if it's stable and at roughly the expected level.
Yep. 1.018. Probably not done yet. I used rehydrated k97 And it is in my fermentation chamber set at 62. I would have thought based on how fast it took off and how vigorously it bubbled that it would be done. Guess not.

Back