Centennial Bine Tip Damaged?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joetothemo

Reaction score
This Centennial plant is not taking off like my Cascade. This is its first year and it only stands at about 12" high. It got a late start (planted Early-mid May).

I am new to this so please fill me in on what may be happening here and how/if I can remedy the situation.

Cheers! :mug:

DSCN2101.JPG

I'm not sure I'd worry about it. Hops are fairly hardy, at least in my experience. Just let it go. Give it water and nutes it should be fine.

Even if it is damaged, the plant will just shoot out secondary bines from the nodes. Nothing to worry about.

I have similar question. I planted my hops late and at the start of a 10 day heat wave. I watered plenty but that early stress killed the tips on most of my hops. When the secondary shoots come out (there are two; one on each side) is it best to just let them grow, or can I prune one and then train the other up the twine/trellis?

Let the plant grow. It needs to get all the help from the sun. They are a successful organism, they know what to do. Just water it as needed.

OK. I do see some growth coming from the node below. Crappy setback to have though!

Thanks for the advice. I'll just pull up a lawn chair, RDWHAHB and watch these guys grow.

So my hops with the dead tips are all doing very well, the only problem being that the vertical growth has almost entirely ceased. There are nice shoots coming out of all the nodes, but I'm thinking right now that that particular bine might be more a bush than a vine. All the plants with the dead tips are, however, sending up many other nice bines that are actually now starting to catch up. I'll be interested to see how it turns out. This is my first year and I'm chomping at the bit to do a homegrown IPA!

This Centennial plant is not taking off like my Cascade. This is its first year and it only stands at about 12" high. It got a late start (planted Early-mid May).

I am new to this so please fill me in on what may be happening here and how/if I can remedy the situation.

Cheers! :mug:

total newb here too, but my Centennial is creeping along like yours. i planted mine as a start from Molbaks about a month ago. it's only grown 2-4 inches so far, whereas my mystery hops are at about 6 feet, and have suddenly begun shooting off all kinds of side arms.

My centennial is kinda weak too. It was the best looking rhysome (huge with a ton of buds) but only sprouted 2 bines about 3ft up the rope (the cascade, willamette and nugget are all pushing 5ft). All 1st year plants. The Mt Hood is doing the worst, though. it was barely 2ft up the rope with only 1 bine and then my 2 year old tore off the tip plus 6 inches this evening. Hopefully it will recover :(

Hey folks,

I know you're all frothing and chomping and whatnot but just give them time. Plants do things at their own pace and most of the time there's nothing you can do but try to make them do things that they aren't ready for (usually with negative results). As long as they're growing you'll be OK for next year. Things take time so as long as there's some green leaves and they're not catching on fire or something weird like that, all is good! Sure, you could dump some EXTRAGRO fertilizer on them but that's like giving your 2 yr old a big can of Nitro-Blast Protein Elixir and expecting to see him turn out looking like Charles Atlas next week. It ain't gonna happen. The plants leaves will most likely turn brown around the edges and then you'll start another topic about that. Sorry for sounding like a big meanie but I love plants and had a few beers after work and decided to chime in. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do but just give them some time and they'll grow like there's no tomorrow. They're just WEEDS! Over and out! - for now!

Hey folks,

Sure, you could dump some EXTRAGRO fertilizer on them but that's like giving your 2 yr old a big can of Nitro-Blast Protein Elixir and expecting to see him turn out looking like Charles Atlas next week.

...the amount of stuff she is capable of destroying now is bad enough! I'm not too worried and won't be crushed if centennial never really does anything and Mt hood dies. I really only wanted 3 plants but ordered 5 as the shipping was the same price and I thought it would be good to have a couple backups. I'm not expecting any cones but will be stoked if I get enough for a late edition to a 3 gallon batch this year.

The difference in growth of mine could be entirely based on their location - they are all side by side- in order from east to west: mt hood, nug, will, casc, cent and there is a nice bell curve if you were to graph their growth. The sun hits the mt hood last (about 20 minutes after the cent) but sets on the centennial first. Willamette, nugget and cascade get sun about 30 minutes longer per day and are doing substantially better.

I planted 4 varieties for the first time this year after memorial day: a Willamette, Centennial, Sterling and Cascade. The centennial is going the slowest followed by the Willamette, Sterling/Cascade. Although the damaged tip didn't happen to the centennial (it was on the other three), the Cascade and Sterling have both produced almost foot long secondary buds at the tip that I am now attempting to train.

Anyhow, the point of this post is that it seems as though Centennials may just be slow out of the gate if you get them into the ground late.

Hey folks,

I know you're all frothing and chomping and whatnot but just give them time. Plants do things at their own pace and most of the time there's nothing you can do but try to make them do things that they aren't ready for (usually with negative results). As long as they're growing you'll be OK for next year. Things take time so as long as there's some green leaves and they're not catching on fire or something weird like that, all is good! Sure, you could dump some EXTRAGRO fertilizer on them but that's like giving your 2 yr old a big can of Nitro-Blast Protein Elixir and expecting to see him turn out looking like Charles Atlas next week. It ain't gonna happen. The plants leaves will most likely turn brown around the edges and then you'll start another topic about that. Sorry for sounding like a big meanie but I love plants and had a few beers after work and decided to chime in. Maybe that was the wrong thing to do but just give them some time and they'll grow like there's no tomorrow. They're just WEEDS! Over and out! - for now!

Yeah, I don't think that I said anything like that. I wanted advice on whether this tip is damaged and, if so, what I should do to remedy.

I got that answer: "let it grow and allow a shoot from the node below to take over."

Good to see there is a "Revvy" of the Hop Growing forum, though.

TIME HEALS ALL! PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE! YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED!

Good to see there is a "Revvy" of the Hop Growing forum, though.

TIME HEALS ALL! PATIENCE PATIENCE PATIENCE! YOU ARE INEXPERIENCED!

I don't know whether that's a complement or a dig but I'll take it. It just seems like there's a lot of 'hop envy' amongst some of the newer growers and yes, patience is the key. So, just because yours ain't as big as your neighbors', or needs braces, or has to climb on a 'special' trellis, or has a funny looking haircut, just make sure to give them a little love, compost and a drink of water when they're thirsty and you'll most surely be surprised by how happy they'll be next year. Adios!

Latest posts

Back