Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The quarantine warden is reluctant to let me leave this morning. He won’t even look me in the face.
99C3EFD4-2033-4F3A-9AAF-91FBA4A4B757.jpeg

My female cat was the most focused hunter I've seen. She'd drag chipmunks, rabbits, and such into the house.
She liked to put the chipmunks in my wife's shoes and leave her "toys" in the middle of the floor.
My two boys once caught a fat mouse in the house and presented it to us. I had to laugh because they were sitting side-by side when I discovered them. They were sitting, waiting for praise. Their typical presentations weren't kills, though, but when hunting was scarce one of them would drop random Beanie Babies for me on my side of the bed.

Can verify the "cat claiming" that goes on.
Nothing escapes my Old Gray Man. If a new box comes inside, he sits in it. If bags of groceries arrive they get inspected. When my wife got me a brand-new recliner, guess who "claimed" it. Just to drive him nuts I sprayed a blanket on the seat of the recliner with catnip essence.
Big mistake. He stayed longer until the scent and novelty wore off, danged rascal butt.

Yeah I’ve been slacking with cat pictures too. I’ve been taking Winkie, Kinky and Half Pint out back in the evening when I get home from work. They meet me at the door and follow me to the sunroom.
They are use to the tile and carpet under their feet so the stay on the wood or field stone and won’t go in the grass. Kinky has found the perfect spot on coffee roasting day and HP has become quite the traveler going with me as I run errands. The guys at the butcher shop where we get the chicken for their food come out to the truck to say hi and she’s become the unofficial mascot of Legacy package store.

Hope everyone and their cats are doing well.

3E65DF64-7669-4AEF-B651-7D7A185E1A96.jpeg
6F2DCC82-D738-4EE5-85A6-887C183E457B.jpeg
B3B1598E-00E6-4E5D-BA28-4F539F469AFD.jpeg
0BDA1CD4-7A18-4AA0-B0F5-5805C6679554.jpeg
967CB8AD-E374-48E1-848F-13292E2518C7.jpeg

dashel founder.jpg

I did put these in the "What are you drinking" thread but they're okay photos. At the top is Dashel (Dashy). That's pretty much how he is. Below is Moose (Moosey). He's about eight months now? Still some growing left. He's sniffing the beer and isn't sure what he thinks about it.
Alastor Moose.jpg

dashel looks so similar to my tuxedo, crazy. and these 3 above remind me of our cats... f'n lazy, useless, fur dropping **** factories. but man, do they love me! wish my wife still loved me like that!

Beware the ferocious tiger roar (or awkward yawn). And he’s the dignified one.
Being a cat owner for 30 years, when a cat spreads and lies on his/her back, my guess is that it's a cooling pose to expose surface area. Can't prove it though. It could also just be a bold dating move.

He was about a year when we adopted him. He lived with us about 2 weeks before he started lounging like that. It’s just how he rolls. The big brown lady cat rules the place, I think it’s his way of showing he’s cool with the pecking order and feeling safe.

We've been cat-less for almost a year now. Hops went out to the front porch and disappeared one nigh last August-she probably became owl food. Here are a couple of the last pics we have of her. She was very coyote savvy, we had lots of them where we used to live, but we didn't have owls.

Attachments

• IMGP4886.JPG
    IMGP4886.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 38
  • IMGP4072.JPG
    IMGP4072.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 38
We've been cat-less for almost a year now. Hops went out to the front porch and disappeared one nigh last August-she probably became owl food. Here are a couple of the last pics we have of her. She was very coyote savvy, we had lots of them where we used to live, but we didn't have owls.

Nice cat.

My cat growing up was almost taken by a bird of prey on our family acreage. She came in the house one day scared and with talon marks on her back. Her large size probably saved her. Ever since that day, she would not be caught out in the open unless running at full throttle back to the house. Usually with an eye on the sky.

I tend to visit stores that are animal friendly before other stores. Weird but big selling point for me.
Heaven forbid I show up without her. People who've met her look at me, then look around and ask "Where's Half Pint?".
Went through Home Depot last week with HP riding on the wood cart. A Hispanic man saw her said El gato smiled and gave me the thumbs up.

@Inkleg
From the perspective of the person who isn't the owner of the cat, I'm the same with Ms. Kitty, the ridiculously chilled cat that lives at the garden center. We go in a lot and my wife shops while I go search for Ms. Kitty to give her a pat on the head. Never met a more relaxed cat. Like I said, because they keep a cat on the premises, we go there first and usually only. Their prices are ho-hum, service is fine but they have Ms. Kitty.

This is Moose on bottling day. I didn't realize I would find another use for my bottle crates. He likes to be carried around the house for an indeterminate amount of time. He sits on the kitchen cart directly behind and above me while I sit in a lawn chair that's a few inches off the ground and work the bottle wand. My wife operates the bottling bucket and now knows more about how to handle that aspect than I do.
Back to Moose: he's very relaxed all the time but he does growl at the ice cream trucks when they go by--and motorcycles for some reason.
moosey brew day.jpg

Wallace watching his new can in action. Wife made a late night impulse buy while I was at work a few weeks back. Completely blown away by how well it works (so far), but definitely a luxury buy haha. I’m debating a second one for upstairs...

5FAAB32B-2D46-4757-906B-B8E38B63B117.jpeg

An auto-cleaning litterbox that doesn’t suck? Do tell.
One I had years ago eventually couldn’t even make it through fresh clean litter without binding. I never did fix it.
We’ve got one now that we put in the mix when we go out of town to keep things to a dull roar, and so far it’s been good. But I suspect it’s the same model I had previously, so I’m a bit skeptical.

One I had years ago eventually couldn’t even make it through fresh clean litter without binding. I never did fix it.
We’ve got one now that we put in the mix when we go out of town to keep things to a dull roar, and so far it’s been good. But I suspect it’s the same model I had previously, so I’m a bit skeptical.

https://www.litter-robot.com/It’s an insane amount to pay, in my opinion. We are generally savers but can’t/refuse to travel atm and I came out a bit more ahead than I thought I would selling a property, so we splurged on a few things. She found it quite some time ago and I scoffed. Her coworker bought one a month or two ago and keeps raving about it so we figured why not.
it works surprisingly well. I remember seeing ads for those rake type boxes and they seemed like junk to me. This one feels and sounds pretty solid. We’ve had it a week, and our three cats took about a day or two to get used to it and now it’s a free for all. It works smoothly and honestly I only get a whiff of any type of smell unless I open the drawer to shake everything over to the side to avoid a pile up. It cycled 26times before we needed to empty it, and it probably could have gone a few more. So far, a win in my book

Wallace watching his new can in action. Wife made a late night impulse buy while I was at work a few weeks back. Completely blown away by how well it works (so far), but definitely a luxury buy haha. I’m debating a second one for upstairs...

View attachment 695553
Another huge endorsement for the Litter Robot here. We got our first about 5 years ago and now have 3. Had one stop working right during the warranty period. Contacted LR, sent the base back they repaired it and sent it back. I’m thinking it was less than two weeks turn around.

One thing to watch for is if the power goes out. Here it’s subject to go out, come on and go out again. The robot starts to cycle when power comes on, but then will stop tilted when it goes back out. You can always remove the hood and move the globe back upright, but I’ve just unplug ours till I’m sure power is on for good.
@Immocles I agree with it keeping the smell contained. I also keep a can of Febreze next to the robots and give the turds a quick spray when I do the redistribute shake.
Happy to answer any LR questions.

Another huge endorsement for the Litter Robot here. We got our first about 5 years ago and now have 3. Had one stop working right during the warranty period. Contacted LR, sent the base back they repaired it and sent it back. I’m thinking it was less than two weeks turn around.

One thing to watch for is if the power goes out. Here it’s subject to go out, come on and go out again. The robot starts to cycle when power comes on, but then will stop tilted when it goes back out. You can always remove the hood and move the globe back upright, but I’ve just unplug ours till I’m sure power is on for good.
@Immocles I agree with it keeping the smell contained. I also keep a can of Febreze next to the robots and give the turds a quick spray when I do the redistribute shake.
Happy to answer any LR questions.
My wife was happy to hear that its held up for 5 years, and that you'd been impressed enough to purchased additional ones. Any tips on the best type of litter to use? We switched to the cloud control stuff early this year because one of them likes to kick up a storm. Been debating switching back to the old litter since it was a bit cheaper and held up nicely, but I'm afraid that each cycle will turn the thing into a cheech and Chong movie.

This boy is so sweet and lovable. He is also a master hunter.

He recently caught, killed, and partially ate a jackrabbit that was as big as he is. What amazed me was that he managed to bring the rabbit into my shop, fully alive, through his cat door. I know the rabbit was alive when he brought it in, because there was no blood anywhere on or around the door. I found signs of struggle and lots of blood where he killed it in the storage area of my shop.

Like I said, he is so sweet and lovable.....to me....but I would not want to be a small creature on this property!

IMG_20200812_080513584.jpg

This boy is so sweet and lovable. He is also a master hunter.

He recently caught, killed, and partially ate a jackrabbit that was as big as he is. What amazed me was that he managed to bring the rabbit into my shop, fully alive, through his cat door. I know the rabbit was alive when he brought it in, because there was no blood anywhere on or around the door. I found signs of struggle and lots of blood where he killed it in the storage area of my shop.

Like I said, he is so sweet and lovable.....to me....but I would not want to be a small creature on this property!

View attachment 695674
One of my cats did that. Not sure which one as I had 4 at the time, but have a really good idea. There was a trail of rabbit pellets around the living room. It wasn't the rabbit through the cat door that was impressive, it was getting the full size jack over the 6' fence.

My wife was happy to hear that its held up for 5 years, and that you'd been impressed enough to purchased additional ones. Any tips on the best type of litter to use? We switched to the cloud control stuff early this year because one of them likes to kick up a storm. Been debating switching back to the old litter since it was a bit cheaper and held up nicely, but I'm afraid that each cycle will turn the thing into a cheech and Chong movie.
Any good clumping litter that your cats are accustomed to will work. Ours were born and raised on SAMS litter. It's a bit dusty, but clumps well.

Last edited:
Back