Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So.. our little rodent is an indoor cat. A bit high strung. Very cuddly. Wants to sit in laps whenever possible, (but of course does the typical cat thing and puts her ass in my face). But she's a nipper. Completely random. Out of the blue, she'll nip. Today she drew blood on my wife's arm. Had to go in to urgent care and get some antibiotics. As most of you know, cat bites are not to be treated lightly.
Any cat psychologists out there? Any and all sober and alcohol induced advice appreciated...……:)

So, you have a nipper, eh? It's something to watch for, definitely.
One of my Fuzzy Boys bit my wife on the arm out of fear when she was washing him one day and it made her acutely sick to the point she had to take a few days from work. The bite was deep and caused septicemia, necrosis, and mild nerve damage that was treated with antibiotics.
https://www.purina.co.uk/cats/behaviour-and-training/training-your-cat/stop-cats-biting

Cats enjoy a bit of touch and stimulation, but not too much. They also have "special" spots they don't like you to touch - unless THEY are in the mood, so to speak. They are fickle creatures and to be respected. Their temperaments vary depending on their mood and as they age, they can generally get more tolerant of touch. Unless you're their "favorite human" there are spots to avoid - the face, tail, and especially their feet. There were instances I would be allowed to pick or cut matted fur knots from my Big Cat, but only to a point. When I saw his tail twitch or slap it was time to quit.

Last edited:
On the opposite end of the psychological spectrum.... Kittens will nip one another in an attempt to initiate/ provoke play. Kittens of course have the advantage of a protective coat of fur which is quite helpful. My Cricket is one of several I've had that, as adults, will sometimes use this ploy with the old two legs. However, in my experience, they've never actually bitten, just nipped at their subject without ever enough force to risk scratching the surface of the skin, more like a demonstration or gesture. They seem to be well aware of their adult strength and our vulnerability due to lack of fur.

Cats are predators and will sometimes use their humans as hunting targets - especially the young ones. They are quite aware of you even when you're not watching or they seem as if they're ignoring you. Give them something else to "hunt" besides YOU .... suspended strings, yarn balls, toys, anything for a diversion. A high perch out of the way of foot traffic where they can sit quietly and safely observe is good, too. Dose their spots with catnip spray to attract them to spaces they like.
Buffy the tuxedo cat would love to hunt my step-mom's bare heels on occasion and my Big Cat would slap my head from a stairway landing when I walked by from time to time. The older they get the less they'll use their humans as slap toys.

Been waiting for two years for Major Tom to show interest in brewing. Looks like he was just waiting for me to go electric and bring it closer to him.
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3580.JPG

Ooh, that last pic makes me cringe...a pet up high near boiling wort. Careful with that!

Parboiled kitty would make for bad day.
Don't worry, I moved him as soon as the photo was taken, Tom was up there 5 seconds at most. Honestly, he was more interested in smelling the trash. He likes to perch on the mini-fridge and just sniff.

Sadly on the back of the new guy... this little lady is having a rough go. Likely a brain tumor but more docs and bills and pain manana

View attachment 670106

View attachment 670107
Sorry to hear this. It’s really hard with pets at times because they can’t tell us how they’re feeling. We do the best we can. I know she’s not hurting for love, caring, attention and treatment. What’s her name?

Sadly on the back of the new guy... this little lady is having a rough go. Likely a brain tumor but more docs and bills and pain manana

View attachment 670106

View attachment 670107

Update. Vet says it could be a tumor or a stroke (which cats can bounce back from). We got to take her home, which was not our base case expectation. Will know by Wednesday/Thursday if she has a chance.

Well sh*t....the sunroom seems to have gotten dusty. @fourfarthing I am so sorry my friend. We are keeping you and your family in our thoughts.
After I send this I'm getting up for a kleenex and a beer. I'll pour some out for Sophie and raise my glass to her.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we loose them. It's funny that sometimes we cry when others loose them too.

Well sh*t....the sunroom seems to have gotten dusty. @fourfarthing I am so sorry my friend. We are keeping you and your family in our thoughts.
After I send this I'm getting up for a kleenex and a beer. I'll pour some out for Sophie and raise my glass to her.

We love them while they're here and cry like babies when we loose them. It's funny that sometimes we cry when others loose them too.
Thank you for saying that so well.

Back