Cats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few photos of Moose. He's 2.3 lbs with a fearless/reckless demeanor. We're thrilled with how happy he is and that he's acclimating quickly.
shoe interest.jpg
water drinker.jpg
tongue out.jpg
sleeping.jpg

Is there a saying "...like trying to make coffee with a kitten in the kitchen"? It would mean "impossible to get anything done quickly." There should be.
I thought I'd post at least one clear photo of Moose. He's so small that when you look down, it's like looking through the wide end of a pair of binoculars.
clear moose.jpg

Funny.
I was going to ask, does Winky (sp?) have a bad eye?
Close Winkie.
She was born with a cataract to severe to correct. Her eye was removed at 6 weeks and a silicone ball put in the socket to keep it from looking sunken. She's a daddy's girl and in my lap as I type this. She has a routine where she follows my upstairs when I go to bed. She sits on the counter as I brush my teeth and then follows me to the bed. I let her examine eye drops and ipstick as I use them before bed and then she curls up in the "princess spot". I rub her head as she purrs and we both fall asleep.
Yep, she doesn't need two eyes to see all the love she gives and receives. :)
Plus she always keeps an eye out. :D

Sounds like a super awesome cat. Very cool looking as well.
We have four. One of them, Dashel, whenever I go to the basement flips on his back and stretches out his front and back legs as long as they will go in a ridiculous looking pose. He does this to let me know he wants what we call a "car wash." That's where I put a winter glove half way on my hand so the fingers are floppy and then I flap it back and forth, rapidly but lightly if that makes sense, on his back and legs (never above the neck) as he runs past or stops, meowing his brains out the whole time. He absolutely loves it and would have me do it twenty times a day. It sounds really weird and it is.
I still have no idea of how I taught him or he taught me about the turning over on his back and stretching out thing.

Do you have a big cat? Photo? I love big cats.
Our largest is 12 pounds and he's pretty much a proper weight which isn't huge that I know of.
I did post a pic of Cricket at Christmas that kind of suggests her size. She's one of the largest I've ever had, and the only other ones that were in the range were males. She's got a big frame, long and tall, and a healthy weight for her is about 14 pounds. She shot up to 16 last year (7 year old metabolism shift; we can all relate as we get older!) but is well on the way to trimming back down to her ideal. She's regained her kitten like energy, activity, athleticism, and, most telling, personality -- you can just tell she feels like herself and is happier. Anyway, with her length, even at 14 lbs she can take up a lot of room on the couch with me! I'll post more pictures as I can. She's very hard to photograph -- you understand with Moose. As soon as she detects the camera, she's in motion to check it out, out of focus, and no longer doing what I want a snap of. Even sleeping, she seems to be tipped off when I'm trying to get her picture.

I did post a pic of Cricket at Christmas that kind of suggests her size. She's one of the largest I've ever had, and the only other ones that were in the range were males. She's got a big frame, long and tall, and a healthy weight for her is about 14 pounds. She shot up to 16 last year (7 year old metabolism shift; we can all relate as we get older!) but is well on the way to trimming back down to her ideal. She's regained her kitten like energy, activity, athleticism, and, most telling, personality -- you can just tell she feels like herself and is happier. Anyway, with her length, even at 14 lbs she can take up a lot of room on the couch with me! I'll post more pictures as I can. She's very hard to photograph -- you understand with Moose. As soon as she detects the camera, she's in motion to check it out, out of focus, and no longer doing what I want a snap of. Even sleeping, she seems to be tipped off when I'm trying to get her picture.
That's good to hear that Cricket's regaining her energy. Yeah, you nailed it--just point the camera. I'm batting 2 for 500 at the moment for good photos.
It is almost mystical how a cat can occupy sooo much space.
We had a cat that almost no matter what we did, stayed pudgy. I swear he had no interest in being a normal weight--ate the dog's food, ate everyone else's food and on it went for twenty years. He made us look like inept cat owners.

This is Moose. He's new.
He did well in the litter box--at first. Everything was fine until he went crazy and began batting urine/litter chunks around.

Young cats can be hyperactive fools. He'll calm down. Eventually.
Give him something else to play with to distract him. My Old Guy in the avatar is 13 now and still drives one of my boys nuts when he leaves loose apron strings draped over a kitchen chair. When my Small Girl was around she was hell on wheels when the laser came out. Before we replaced the old carpet with hardwood flooring she'd take off across the room and stop on a dime. :D Nothing that flew or crawled was safe from her. When the errant fly would enter the house I'd see her leap, trapping them with her paws in mid-air. Great hunter she was, and amused me greatly - especially the times she hid dead chipmunks in my wife's shoes on the sly.

Yes, I caught her on camera ... and this wasn't the first time, either.
My frantic wife swore the cat did it intentionally and I didn't doubt that a bit. That little cat really was that naughty. We'd typically keep shoes by the front door and she'd make her way all the way across the house from the back to deposit her victims into one set of shoes.

trap.jpg

Last edited:
Now here's a shot taken from 180 degree opposing angle two days later.
This Little Nard is depositing ANOTHER victim into a different style of my wife's shoes in the same spot. Another time I found her with a live victim hidden and released it outside. The chances of her doing this correctly multiple times to different shoes but choosing my wife's pair is pretty coincidental, especially when I never found stuff in my shoes.
I miss that Little Cat ...

trap2.jpg

Last edited:
The chances of her doing this correctly multiple times to different shoes but choosing my wife's pair is pretty coincidental, especially when I never found stuff in my shoes.
I miss that Little Cat ...
She sounds like she was a great cat. Sorry to hear she has passed.

Since you never found anything in your shoes she liked your wife more. I'll explain.
Once upon a time our "feral" Moo had access to the sunroom viva a dog door. After multiple dead birds and chipmunks left by the door into the house and the occasional live one running around in the sun/brew room that access was closed. They would still show up on the deck outside the sunroom. After some research I found that this is a sign of appreciation by the cat. It is their way of showing thanks and to the ruler of the pride. Which to a cat is the female.

All time favorite was the 2am bat incident. Those little things are fast. Scared the living crap out of me. I kept hearing this strange clicking soun . Something that just didn't make sense at 2am. I roll out of bed to investigate, still ¾ asleep, and I see a strange black shadow in the hallway. I flip on the hallway lights and startled my cat who released whatever she had. The thing shot up from the ground straight at my head. I half stumble over to try and assess the situation, I look up and there is a bat flying circles around my bedroom ceiling fan. It dissapeared into a crevice under a cabinet only to reappear 2 days later in the living room - about dusk and proceeds to circle the fan for a bit until we could shoe it out the back door.

Birds, rodents and lizards are the main excitement. The rabbit was impressive though.

Funny stuff.
We started feeling bad for any flies that got in the house.
One of the boys brought a live bird in the house and let it go. That caused quite ruckus.

Ruckus? I know what that is.
That's when some fool squirrel decides to chew a hole in a kitchen windowscreen after seeing colorful ornamental plants on the countertops and table, but doesn't bank on tangling with three unseen cats. We'd gone shopping that fine spring day and I came in to hear my wife screaming as the cats chased this idiot squirrel around my kitchen, then around the living room. It was like a small game racetrack with animals running past your feet.
The cats had a hard time with the squirrel because they had no footing on hardwood floors and tile. They were sliding, bouncing off furniture, and into legs the whole time. :D
Luckily for the squirrel I got to a sliding rear door after a couple laps before the kitties caught up. Squirrels were a real PITA around my house for a couple years until the cats and a pellet rifle slowed 'em down. We have a very large oak tree in the front yard and it's a great place to find deer and turkeys within touching distance during the fall.

Last edited:
Here's Moose after one week with us, his new family. Cat owners know that getting a money shot like this is pure luck--usually ends up blurry or a close up of just one eye staring into the camera.
His acclimation to the other cats and they with him took about two hours so we were very fortunate.
Plays, eats, poops and sleeps a lot. Oh, he likes warm coffee of all things.
Edit: photo credit goes to my wife.
picasso puss.jpg

Last edited:
My once in a lifetime, best friend ever (Oliver,) could not resist iced tea. Cats do not need caffeine, if you didn't know.
I laughed about the caffeine.
Isn't that weird what a cat might like? You never really know. One of my guys was scared to death when I let him smell an onion because he was curious (my bad).
I switched to cold-steeped tea to stop one of my boys from tipping over glasses of water onto the carpet. Lucky he doesn't like apple cinnamon tea.
From the other side of the spectrum, I've been adding whipped cream to my espresso. I have to put the kitten in another room because he keeps wanting to press his face into my coffee mug.

Cats are pretty social about food. They like to share your food - if it smells good.
Old Mr. Poo here will beggar for sourdough bread, cereal milk, yogurt dregs, and various meat bits. If he hears or smells a tuna can being opened he's insufferable. Made the mistake of ignoring him once and got a couple sneaky claw paws into my butt. His favorite treat is the drained tuna liquid and a few bits to eat. Low calories, no carbs, and mostly protein, excellent for a diabetic cat.
I'm one of those people who'd never dream about de-clawing my cats, though.

If he hears or smells a tuna can being opened he's insufferable.
Just watch out for high sodium with canned tuna.

I give scraps from fresh fish and feed occasional whole fresh (frozen) anchovies or sardines. My lil girl will stare at it until I pet her for a few sec, then she devours it.
20190708_162314.jpg

drained tuna liquid
We call it "tuna juice" around here. They can't get enough of it. I heard mention of "sodium" above. I'll have to read the can.
Our first two cats were declawed (25+ years ago). I was horrified once I found out what the procedure actually entailed. I have since forgiven myself.
That being said, if it's between death and keeping the cat who can live long and happy indoors, I would choose declawing.

We call it "tuna juice" around here. They can't get enough of it. I heard mention of "sodium" above. I'll have to read the can.
Our first two cats were declawed (25+ years ago). I was horrified once I found out what the procedure actually entailed. I have since forgiven myself.
That being said, if it's between death and keeping the cat who can live long and happy indoors, I would choose declawing.
I do feed tuna juice occasionally, (every time I make tuna - less than once a month) and the occasional whole can just because (again,less than once a month on average). I just caution human food as they are usually sodium bombs.

Latest posts

Back