Cascade/ chinook hop combination

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there, planning on making a red in colour, American style ale, so I've got some cascade and chinook hops, plus I have a few other varieties (that are mostly English/ not very much left) left over. I can have a rummage for them later and let you guys know if you think they'd be any use.
I'm not too fussed about specific tastes, I just don't want to go way overboard with one or the other.

Currently thinking of 40g Chinook at 60mins and 20g Cascade at 15mins.

This is just a basic primary guess (I have little experience making my own recipes) so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: Ingredients I plan on using (plugged into brewersfriend recipe builder)

4.25kg Pale Malt
750g Munich Malt
200g Crystal Rye
100g Dark Crystal Malt
200g Flaked Barley
50g Roasted Barley

With 70% efficiency it's telling me I'll be looking at an OG of 1.054

It would be easier to give advice seeing the whole recipe, especially the gravity, but if you are aiming for something like an American amber I suspect you don't need that whole 40g of chinook for bittering. You could probably go with more like 15-20g then put the rest later. I like the chinook/cascade combo, but personally I'd try to get at least 60g in late (15 to zero) additions for an American ale. You could certainly increase that more plus a dry hop for a hop-forward beer. I'd plug it into software to be sure on the IBU's.
:mug:

Ah yes of course, forgot about OG affecting hop additions. Will post the recipe I'm planning a bit later. Thanks for the initial advice though

Looks pretty good, 21 liter batch? You could start with something like 15 g each chinook/cascade at 15 min and 0 min, then whatever amount you need of chinook at 60 to get your IBU's where you want them. If I were brewing it I might bump those late additions up a bit and dry hop, but then again all my Amercian ales have this strange tendency to turn into IPA's :)

Cool, cheers. With regards to dry hopping, how do you think I should go about that? Do they go in the fermenter a few days in?

Cool, cheers. With regards to dry hopping, how do you think I should go about that? Do they go in the fermenter a few days in?

Lots of ways to go about that: primary/secondary/keg, bag or no bag. I either dump them in the primary when fermentation is finished and about 5 days before packaging, or I use a bag or tea ball in the keg.

Personally, I dislike using Chinook for flavoring. Bittering or Aroma only...so at 60min, and at 5/0 minutes is my recommendation for using Chinook.

Latest posts

Back