Caribou Slobber yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanco

Reaction score
Hey all, got the extract kit for Christmas, which yeast would you pick?

1. Windsor Ale - dry
2. US 05
3. S04
4. Nottingham
5. Some modest attempt at washing wyeast 1968, which I know is the yeast used for the commercial example... It's just I'm gun shy from trying to use washed yeast, this would be my second try at using washed yeast...reckon I could make a starter of it and see if it takes off...

Alright so without choosing number 5, which yeast would you pick for this beer. I have an o2 system and a temp controlled fridge, so pick a temp also if you feel like it... Suggest away

I'd try the Nottingham just because I've never used dry yeast before, and I used Wyeast on my batch of Slobber so it would be cool to compare the two.

You want a clean well attenuating ale yeast, I'd assume, so I'd go with the S05. I'm not sure an English strain would be great, although if you say they use 1968 I must be wrong! If you do go with an English strain, I'd suggest keeping the temperature on the cool side, to avoid too much fruitiness.

I'd pitch the dry nottingham cause well, dry nottingham works like a charm on everything you throw it at :)

You want a clean well attenuating ale yeast, I'd assume, so I'd go with the S05. I'm not sure an English strain would be great, although if you say they use 1968 I must be wrong! If you do go with an English strain, I'd suggest keeping the temperature on the cool side, to avoid too much fruitiness.

The brewer on the moose drool podcast stated they used the Fullers esb yeast, so that's where I gleaned that from.... Definetly not from my taste buds...wish I was that good...:D. But still, I'm open to suggestions. I may try to do the starter of washed 1968 and see if it takes off.

Back