Cara-pils vs. mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Just brainstorming here. Would it be more efficient to gain body with cara-pils or using a higher mash temp? Obviously it would depend on a number of things. Quantifying the body of a beer brewed with x amount of cara-pils compared to the mash temp required to achieve the same or similar body from the same grist. Really my thought is about the extraction/fermentability capability from cara-pils. It would seem to me that mashing lower to convert the majority of the grist into a more fermentable wort and relying on the cara-pils to add some dextrins for body would be the way to go because mashing higher would extract dextrins from the entire grist and yield a less fermentable over all wort. Of course all of this depends on your desired outcome, yada yada yada.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?

I haven't used carapils in several years, but I do use other crystal malts in recipes. I use pretty standard mash temps and have good results without using carapils or wheat malt for head retention.

I love this site... it makes my head hurt!!! Trying to think what I just read....

So much to learn.......:drunk:

So that's why I added that 1lb Cara-pils to my grain bill..... (lightbulb!!)

I think it depends on the style of the beer... If you want residual sweetness along with body, you can use a higher mash temp. If you want a beer that finishes drier, you can mash lower in temp and use Cara-Pils for added body.

I tend to vary the mash temp and whether or not I'm using a dextrine malt based on what I'm brewing.

Back