Cara-pils vs. mash temp

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

batfishdog37

Reaction score
Just brainstorming here. Would it be more efficient to gain body with cara-pils or using a higher mash temp? Obviously it would depend on a number of things. Quantifying the body of a beer brewed with x amount of cara-pils compared to the mash temp required to achieve the same or similar body from the same grist. Really my thought is about the extraction/fermentability capability from cara-pils. It would seem to me that mashing lower to convert the majority of the grist into a more fermentable wort and relying on the cara-pils to add some dextrins for body would be the way to go because mashing higher would extract dextrins from the entire grist and yield a less fermentable over all wort. Of course all of this depends on your desired outcome, yada yada yada.

Anyway, anyone have any thoughts?

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I haven't used carapils in several years, but I do use other crystal malts in recipes. I use pretty standard mash temps and have good results without using carapils or wheat malt for head retention.

FxdGrMind

Reaction score
I love this site... it makes my head hurt!!! Trying to think what I just read....

So much to learn.......:drunk:

So that's why I added that 1lb Cara-pils to my grain bill..... (lightbulb!!)

Kahuna

Reaction score
I think it depends on the style of the beer... If you want residual sweetness along with body, you can use a higher mash temp. If you want a beer that finishes drier, you can mash lower in temp and use Cara-Pils for added body.

I tend to vary the mash temp and whether or not I'm using a dextrine malt based on what I'm brewing.

Latest posts