Can't get keg line free of gas (soda)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cannman

Beer Theorist
Reaction score
I just installed a 25' 1/4" id soda line to replace my old 10' 3/8"id to help combat foam... but I can't get it clear of gas! Can someone help me out?!
The old line was running just fine yet no matter what I try and do, I get sputter sputter sputter. What's the proper way to do this?

Thanks

What are your temperatures and pressures?
What is your carbonation method (high presume quick carb or set and forget?)
What is your kegerator configuration (chest freezer or upright, tower or straight through shank?)
What did you do besides change out the line?
Are you keeping all 25'cold?

When you draw off a pint does the gas clear quickly then re-appear over time? or does it never clear?

If it never clears then maybe you switched the gas/ liquid lines somehow? Or it could be a cracked o-ring allowing gas from the keg head space into the liquid line.

If it clears then re-appears over time then it is likely a change in temperature or pressure causing the dissolution.

I just installed a 25' 1/4" id soda line to replace my old 10' 3/8"id to help combat foam... but I can't get it clear of gas! Can someone help me out?!
The old line was running just fine yet no matter what I try and do, I get sputter sputter sputter. What's the proper way to do this?

Thanks

Why 1/4" line? That should cause even more foaming.

3/16" id sorry.

I changed it using 3/16 primarily because it's the size I had at length....

Was set to 35psi and left alone

Just changed the line, nothing more... The keg had been the depressurized and depressurized to 15 psi in an attempt to fix bubbles... But that's it

Mini fridge with straight through shank.

Temp is 38f, keg and lines chilled.

Does not pour, it sputters and never disconnected the gas line...

The oring was working fine 5 min prior to the switch... I don't know how it could have failed under the circumstances...

15 psi in an attempt to fix bubbles... But that's it

This could be part of the problem... if the CO2 in solution is at 35psig but the head pressure is only set to 15psig, this would cause CO2 to come out of solution in the line... but it should clear during the pour then re form over time.

If the sputtering is constant then somehow CO2 from the head space is getting into the beer line. Are you sure the line is connected to the OUT port and the dip tube is in place and seated correctly on the o-ring?

25' for 35 psi is a bit undersized, but by changing the psi to a lower psi to serve, that causes the c02 to "break out" of solution. Normally, it's not that bad with sputtering and things, but it does happen with turning the pressure down to serve. It sounds like a couple of problems, though, like maybe temperature changes and not just a line that is too short to have a soda at carbed at 35 psi. When I had soda at 30 psi, I noticed that it poured better at 30', and it seems like having 1' for every 1 psi seems to work well but temperature needs to be stable, and there can be no tears or anything in the o-ring.

I'd check the o-rings and poppits on both the "in" and "out" posts because something is not right.

I'll break it down next week but first I guess I'll buy the proper line Id and length. I primarily make Rootbeer ...

Back