Can my lager warm up without hurting it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jleiii

Reaction score
I'm stuck between a cold and a cool place. I need to cold crash a dry hop IPA that seems to have leaked hops out of the bag, but my cooler has a Maibock in it right now, about 3 weeks into the lagering phase, at 35F. The coldest spot in my basement is about 50F right now, and the IPA is unphased by this.
I'm thinking about pulling the lager out of the cooler for 2 days so I can cold crash the IPA. What's the likelihood that 2 days at 50F will negatively impact the Maibock? There is a good chance it won't even get that warm before it goes back in.

You are cold crashing an IPA? cold crashing dry hopped beer tends to take a lot of the nice hop aroma with it!

Was not aware of cold crashing affecting hop aroma. Kinda sounds like chilling it at any point would be bad too. With 2 oz of hop pellets floating around I've got to do something.

Was not aware of cold crashing affecting hop aroma. Kinda sounds like chilling it at any point would be bad too. With 2 oz of hop pellets floating around I've got to do something.

If they are just floating around the top, you could try to siphon out the beer from below them and leave them behind. If they are all over the place, well I'm not sure.

You could cold crash, siphon to another carboy if you have one and dry hop again. That is if you are worried about the goodness that might drop out during the cold crash. Or you could cold crash and package and drink fresh. Either way I wouldn't sweat it.

As far as the lager, like its been said it will be just fine.

They are floating until slight motion then they disperse only to rise again. I'm going to try siphoning out below and through my biab bag to catch what gets through. Thanks.

I dry hop my IPAs by throwing pellets into the primary after fermentation. After a week, I siphon from the bottom and the beer is clear. I have never used a bag for the hops or siphon but do use a half of a whirlfloc tab in the boil. It seems like the biggest variable, for me, is letting the beer chill in the fridge for a week or 2 before you drink.

I use a sanitized 4" x 4" portion of paint strainer bag and rubber band over the end of my racking cane to transfer to bottling bucket. It takes a little longer for transfer, but I get every drop and no particles. Give it a try!

The small bag makes more sense to avoid picking up O2 during the transfer. I moved it to my counter and most is now at the bottom, but lots of tiny floaters. I'll never let my dry hop bag come open again!

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Home Brew mobile app

Hop bag was not open. Hops most have been powderized. Used the biab bag but picked up very little. Oh well. Tastes awesome. Never did disturb the lager.

Back