Can I multiply yeast like this with no problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tubba

Reaction score
Let's say I have a packet of yeast, and make a 3l starter with it, properly fed. Could I just then decant the yeast liquid into small jars, and keep it in the fridge, ready to be multiplied when needed?

I don't see any problems with it personally, but you never know...

Nope, no problems doing this than the viability of the yeast will decrease as it sits in the fridge. But since you plan to make starters from them you can probably use them up to a year or more.

The question is cost. If you are talking about multiplying a packet of dried yeast then you'll probably spend more in DME making the starter than you would just pitching a packet of yeast directly. Going from a Wyeast pack or White lab vial makes more sense.

What makes the most sense is to wash yeast from an existing batch. For the price of the 3L starter, you'll have 5 gallons of beer PLUS all that yeast directly from the fermenter and washed for storage.

Yeah, I was going to use existing batch yeast... but I was tired last night and rinsed my vessel after bottling. Well, mistakes are made.

Latest posts

Back