Can I even call this a stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BADS197

Reaction score
I've been reading "Designing Great Beers" and while I'm making progress, skipped ahead to the Stout section in the back.

It appears my recipe doesn't include barley at all, which is mentioned in almost all the descriptions.

Can I even call this a stout then?

12lbs 2 row
1.5 lbs chocolate malt
3/4 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb cara-pils
1/2 lb flaked oats
4ounces chocolate (unsweetened) powder

Maybe I can call it "barely chocolate stout".... ok.. so maybe not as funny.

What do I call it?

It doesn't seem to fit into the Stout catagory at all now that I've done some reading.

thanks
jake

Everything in there except the chocolate powder and the flaked outs are in fact barley, just different roasts, varieties, etc. Looks like a stout to me.

With the 1.5 chocolate malt, you'll probably wind up with a dark beer. I personally like to reserve the term "stout" for using roasted barley: but distinctions between stout vs porter are always debated. I think it might be cooler to go with chocolate porter, as there are so many chocolate stouts ....but I've only seen like maybe 1 or 2 chocolate porters.

I don't see a hop bill. Without the bitterness from roasted barley, if the IBUs are below 30, you are going to be closer to a porter than a stout. That's quite a bit of chocolate malt.

Looks like a Stout or Porter to me...most of your listed ingredients are barley. What hops did you use?

yeah. the defining ingredient in stouts these days is definitely roasted barley and/or black patent. This will be much closer to a porter or even a big chocolate brown. I would cut the choc. malt to 1 pound and the 60L to 1/2 pound. I think it'll be a little more balanced this way. And keep in mind that with a beer that isn't as big as a normal chocolate stout, that chocolate powder is really going to come through.

Nugget 13%AA at 60 minutes - .75 ounce
Cascade 4.9AA at 30 minutes - 1 ounce

beersmith calculated my IBU's at around 45.8

I considered putting it up to about 50 ish ibu's.

I'm brewing it sunday regardless of where it fits in the schema of beer styles.. see what it tastes like and adjust for next time.

:)

Back