California Common - San Franciso 810 yeast temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todmclemore

Reaction score
I'm brewing a California Common next weekend. I'll be using White Labs 810 yeast. I have an outdoor refrigerator whose lowest tempertures is 52 - 54 degrees.

I realize that this lager-type yeast is meant to ferment in higher temperatures than most lager yeasts. However, does fermenting at the lower range of the temperature change the style of the beer from California Common to something else?

todmclemore said:
I'm brewing a California Common next weekend. I'll be using White Labs 810 yeast. I have an outdoor refrigerator whose lowest tempertures is 52 - 54 degrees.

I realize that this lager-type yeast is meant to ferment in higher temperatures than most lager yeasts. However, does fermenting at the lower range of the temperature change the style of the beer from California Common to something else?

Not really but the flavor profile will be different. Preferably it should ferment low 60's and then you can lager it for a bit to clear it up nicely.

I ferment mine at 62, once done I keep it at 45 or so for a week and then package, kind of like a cold crash I guess, I like it!

Allow me to clarify....

I turned my refrigerator to the lowest setting. Meaning, on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the coldest possible, I set my refrigerator on 1.

I can't get this refrigerator any warmer than 52-54 degrees. My house A/C stays around 70 degrees. So, it seems that the refrigerator is the way to go in terms of fermentation.

So, by allowing this California Common to go through fermentation at the lower end of the temp range inside the refrigerator, are we talking about major flavor profile changes?

Could you still call this a California Common, or will the lower temps cause it turn into a Merzen, Pilsner, etc. ?

I realize we may be splitting hairs here, but I'm just curious.

The big question is, what will the fermentation be like at that temperature. I haven't taken 810 that low before. Assuming the yeast keeps chugging along, I'd expect a slightly cleaner flavor profile. Also possibly a slightly higher FG. I usually ferment 810 around 59-60+, so I'm not sure.

You need to get yourself a temperature controller so you can hold the temperature at higher levels. You may not be able to get one for this brew, but if I were you, I'd be saving up for future ones.

Would wrapping the carboy/fermenter in a blanket help to increase the temperature while in the refrigerator, or would the liquid eventually succumb to the temperature of the fridge?

todmclemore said:
Would wrapping the carboy/fermenter in a blanket help to increase the temperature while in the refrigerator, or would the liquid eventually succumb to the temperature of the fridge?

The beer will eventually get to the fridge temp. As mentioned you need an external temperature controller if you want to continue to use this as a ferm chamber.

The temp controller will basically shut the fridge off when temp gets to set point and then turn it on again as the temp rises.

Start it out at that temp (52-54). After it gets going, the temp will go up. (do you have a fermometer to stick on your fermentation vessel? After a day or two, wrap a towel around your carboy/vessel. That will bump the temp up a little more. After a day or two when activity seems to be slowing down, let it sit in the house at 70 degrees to finish up for a d-rest. Then let it sit for a month or so in your fridge at its 52 degrees.

I generally don't secondary a beer, but my Cali Common gets a secondary. I let it sit for about 2 months in secondary in fairly cool but not true lager temps. Turns out pretty good. Good luck!

hope2perc....Thanks, I'll give it a shot.

So, recapping...

1. A couple of days in fridge @ 52-54 degrees.
2. Wrap in a towel in fridge for a couple of days.
3. Remove from fridge and move into 70 degrees for 3-5 more days.
4. Return to fridge for a month at 52 degrees.
5. Secondary fermentation at cool temps (maybe doing a similar
rotation as was done in the primary?) for 2 months.

I'll carbonate using corn sugar during the bottling process.

Any suggestions on bottling time?

Let it bottle condition for three weeks...Enjoy a slightly premature six pack then let it age. Thirty five days and she'll be prime.

Bottle conditioned beers are just so wonderful. Don't join the dark side and start force carbing.

Ya, something like that for a schedule. You know, just keep an eye on it and slowly ramp it up. The 70 degrees is primarily for a D-rest. I use the same yeast, and I've needed the d-rest every time fer shure. Once you can take the air lock off and think, "Hmm, smells pretty good now," (after maybe a couple/three weeks in primary?), then you can secondary it at the 52 for a couple months. No need for any monkeying with it once it's in secondary. Just let it sit there for a couple months. This is pretty crazy coming from me, but once I actually forgot about a Cali Common sitting in a corner of my basement during its lager time!!

Bottling time should be about a couple weeks or so at your 70 degrees. Fermentation and "lagering" will be done by then, so the 70 degrees will just be to get the yeast to carb the bottles for ya.

Good luck. Have fun!

A few follow up questions on the yeast starter for the 810...

1. I was going to use a half cup of dark DME with a liter or water. I've read that some people will mix a cup of DME with two liters of water. Is either acceptable?

2. Once the yeast is pitched, can it be kept in a 70 degree environment out of direct light or should it be in a spot with a colder temperature range.

Back