Burton Union cake for imperial stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
I've got an ordinary bitter fermenting right now (1.039 OG), using Mangrove Jack's Burton Union strain. This is my 49th batch, and for my 50th I'd like to try something a little outside my usual range, so I was thinking of an imperial stout, around 1.100 OG. It occurred to me that maybe I should just pitch the cake from the bitter, to get a nice strong fermentation started. Think the flavor profile will be OK for a big stout? See any issues with that plan? I've pitched low-gravity cakes before (or a portion thereof), and had pretty solid results.

Should be fine, I've done something similar several times with good success, particularly when your looking for a good clean fermentation.

That said keep this in mind:

For some small batches or low gravity beers such as an ordinary bitter, there is a very slight chance you might end up over pitching if you get carried away. High pitching rates can result in a less than ideal fermentation profile (i.e., low or unexpected esters, yeast autolysis flavors, poor head retention) as compared to a properly pitched batch. -MrMalty Starter FAQ

While obviously your talking about a big beer, your also talking about using what is basically a 5 gallon starter for it. Imperial Stouts should have some fruity esters in it which may be minimized or eliminated if you over-pitch. So, you might be better off using one of the online yeast calculators to figure out roughly what the proper pitching rate would be and just re-using that amount of your left over slurry.

Thanks, good point. Now to figure out if I can get 18 lb of grain in my BIAB setup!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back